Thread: This oil, That oil

Fired Up
    There was a post on this some time back and I can't find it. Oil types are a particular choice for different people based on their experience or just plain product preference. Which is better in a 500 hp BBC (6000rpm) for just high speed driving alone. Single weight or multi-weight? How about break in on a fresh motor.....single weight for the first 20 minute run-in, then multi-weight? Any good rules of thumb?! What are you using and what is your experience. Thanks for the reply

KC
    I've been using AmsOil in my motorcylces and now the boat... On a bike you can certainly feel and hear the difference between a natural oil and a synthetic like AmsOil. One of my buddies lost his drain bolt in the desert and rode twenty miles on his XR650R with AmsOil, before discovering that he had lost all of the oil from the motor.
    My 454 MPI seems to be quieter with the 20-50 AmsOil in it.
    KC

beached1
    KC:
    One of my buddies lost his drain bolt in the desert and rode twenty miles on his XR650R
    KCThat happened to me on my WR400F. Scared the shit out of me. Like you, I run Ams in my thumper. Ams is pretty good stuff. Not cheap though.

gnarley
    Do a search on oil. There have been many discussions an the subject in the last 6 months.

Dennis Moore
    When you are only using your boat engine in the summer it would seem silly to even consider multi viscosity oils. They are only neccesary for cold weather engines! 30 weight oil for engines with oil coolers that overcool the oil (the oil needs to run at 220 to 240 degrees to burn out the water condensation) and 40 weight oil for engines that run the oil at the correct temperatures.
    Sincerely
    Dennis Moore
    Family and Performance Boating Magazine