Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Essex Sterling 21 Vs. Hallett 21 SS

COBRA98
    Originally posted by Fricky:
    Cobra98,
    I believe that Essex can provide you with a big block engine. On the Essex web site at www.essexboats.com (http://www.essexboats.com) they have a photo album of boat owners. One day I browsed through all the boat owners and I believe that I saw a 21 sterling with a big block. I remember they took a picture of the engine with the engine cover up.
    I think that the only thing you loose on the big block is handling and performance. The 21 essex with a 350 bravo 3 should pull you out of the water fine. You may want to call Essex about that but my opinion is that you would be fine.
    Hi Fricky, Why do you believe that the perfomance would be impared? It would seem to me that if you make a minimum of a 75hp jump to the 496 that you should pick up 5 Mph in top end with such a relatively light hull such as the Sterling or even the Vortex which is only 6inches longer.
    The handling I could see somewhat given that their is going to be a 200Lb difference between the engines, but that doesnt seem that signifigant.
    One option that has been considered is the
    377 Scorpion, but it seems to me that you wouldnt be able to push the performance much past the 350-360 Hp level on a high reving small block.
    Anyone have an opinion on this one?

Fricky
    Originally posted by COBRA98:
    Hi Fricky, Why do you believe that the perfomance would be impared? It would seem to me that if you make a minimum of a 75hp jump to the 496 that you should pick up 5 Mph in top end with such a relatively light hull such as the Sterling or even the Vortex which is only 6inches longer.
    The handling I could see somewhat given that their is going to be a 200Lb difference between the engines, but that doesnt seem that signifigant.
    One option that has been considered is the
    377 Scorpion, but it seems to me that you wouldnt be able to push the performance much past the 350-360 Hp level on a high reving small block.
    Anyone have an opinion on this one?
    COBRA 98,
    I had heard from another Essex owner that performance would be sacrificed, but after I posted the message I began to think like you. I dont believe that performance would be affected.
    Again though I think a 350 small block is sufficient for pulling a 270 pound skier out of the water and on open water under the right conditions you could hit 63 mph (according to my spedometer, not GPS). I love my Sterling so my opinion is very biased. I have never been to Hallet, but I do know that they to make a solid boat.
    [This message has been edited by Fricky (edited March 09, 2001).]

bigq
    The scorp motor would be great in a 21'. The motor is lighter and being a stroker it has great torque for pulling a skier. It is also a higher rpm motor if you wanted to prop it for the top end.The internal components are also custom unlike the GM 496, not that it has bad components, but I believe Merc is using Lunati for the internals. Also it will rev fast because of less internal weight from the components. My friend has one in a 24' deep-V and registered 71.4 on radar with that motor, so in a lighter 21' it should be 73-75 on a good day.And yea 200 Lbs would make a difference in the feel and speed, it's like adding another person to drag the boat down.

GhettoBird
    I went for a test drive in a Shockwave 21' Step Skier thatwas outfitted with a stock 7.4l 454 with 310hp. the boat was pushing 70mph with no problem and it handled like a dream. They tell me that with the 496 MAG HO that I ordered it should find about 80 mph. This is by far one of the best built boats that I have seen and they are not as ridgid on the price as other builders that I have looked at. The Essex came a close second to me but they charge extra for custom gelcoat colors/pattern

bigq
    Shockwave builds a great boat with one of the best gel coaters alive.

GhettoBird
    I'd have to agree with you Bigq. The work that I've seen Danny Mancini do is phenomenal. Also, the detail that goes into those boats is outstanding.

COBRA98
    Originally posted by GhettoBird:
    I went for a test drive in a Shockwave 21' Step Skier thatwas outfitted with a stock 7.4l 454 with 310hp. the boat was pushing 70mph with no problem and it handled like a dream. They tell me that with the 496 MAG HO that I ordered it should find about 80 mph. This is by far one of the best built boats that I have seen and they are not as ridgid on the price as other builders that I have looked at. The Essex came a close second to me but they charge extra for custom gelcoat colors/pattern
    Did you register the speed on Radar or GPS or the gauge because 70 seems too fast for a 7.4 Merc depending on how it was propped.

GhettoBird
    Cobra,
    Only used the speedo on that drive and it read 70. I believed it was close because in the ***boat Aug 2000 issue, they have the boat doing 67.8 on radar with stock 310hp 454.

COBRA98
    Originally posted by GhettoBird:
    Cobra,
    Only used the speedo on that drive and it read 70. I believed it was close because in the ***boat Aug 2000 issue, they have the boat doing 67.8 on radar with stock 310hp 454.
    Sounds like they build a fast hull. I do remeber that article in ***boat. The question I had about shockwave had to do with the split into Shockwave & Aftershock.
    Sounds like you too are going to have a fast ride. Where do you like to run?

ULTRA28
    cobra, there is nothing to be concerned about the split between shockwave and aftershock, these things happen all the time in this industry. Shockwave is a strong company still building one of the best boats in the industry.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast