Thread: 350 MAG mods?

Lendon Smith
    What can be done to get more power out of a stock 350 mag mpi?
    I know about the whipple option but I have a Dana wake board pole that mounts to the front of the engine. The shaft for the whipple would ocupy the same space, so that is out.
    So what kind of conventional mods can be done?
    Cam?
    Heads?
    Exhaust?
    I allready have through the transom tips, but stock risers.
    Also, after 50 hours it sounds like I have developed a slight exhaust leak.
    It is still under warranty, but what would cause this?
    Bundy

drbones
    Well i would start with cam and heads...
    Compcam make a nice xtreme marine cam...
    the heads could be ported and polished...
    That should wake the 350 up..a little...
    it woke up my little 4.3LX...

OC Ultra
    Put a procharger on my 350 mag Ultra.....different boat altogether! I have the same problem with the dana. Fabrication project for the winter.

powerplay230
    Today I was just perusing the magazine rack and darn't they didn't have the new Hot Boat, errrr. Picked up another magazine sport boats...trailer boats something or other. Got my interest right on the cover pictures from their feature article- refreshing and upgrading a 260hs/350 with new Stainless Marine exhaust, new intake/carb and cam/lifter set. I said to myself...self finally something that will give an idea of what to expect from involved bolt ons. Glanced through the article and they mentioned freshioning (uh oh making up words) adding good rockers and springs to go with the new cam- believe it was all a matched set from Comp cams. Then they added an edelbroch manifold and carb along with the Stainless marine manifolds/risers with captains' call option. Hmmmmm what was that I just read they are just hoping to get 260 hs out of it for now and these uprades were just so they could potentially add some heads and more aggressive cam in the future. Ok now I'm barely skimming the article, time for water test o 19' runabout drumroll please........wow a 2mph increase on top end. Honestly I couldn't read past that and mag' went back on shelf. What was the point of the whole build up other than they did point out places online they saved some money buying the pieces like the beautiful stainless marine exhaust for 2000 something dollars that was a waste, heck the merc manifold set is good for 300 hp in some setups. Hopefully someone can show me the error of my ways in hoping there finally was an article that might show the performance value reached from such an exhaust or matched intake/cam/carb setup... BAck to complaining to the Mgr for not having my favorite magazine. For me Hot Boat has two parts- 1) The sadness of seeing all the gorgeous crafts out of my means, but still inspiring. 2) Down to earth knoweledge from writers who worked their way up in the business in several ways. Keep it up Guys on the staff, and Guys on here keep up the great help to us rookies it's much appreciated!

Dr. Eagle
    I can tell you that the exhaust project works wonders in midrange torque curve. But it was $2,000+ that got me one mile on top. Made driveability better, but top end was like nada.
    But if you do procharge your engine you will need to change the exhaust as it will regulate throughput and therefore horsepower. Centrifical superchargers are not as turnkey as the manufacturers let on either. I know lots of people that have gone through engines because of lean conditions caused by the improper fuel curve. You will certainly find any weak components in your engine as well. Usually it is best to go through the entire engine and build it like it is going to be supercharged.
    Cam and heads are the most likely place to get more hp and torque and top end on a bang for buck basis.
    [ September 26, 2003, 01:49 PM: Message edited by: Dr. Eagle ]