Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Drive Shower

superV
    You can get a nice one for a Buy it Now price of $60 on ebay right now! Bravo or Alpha
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=31283

CBLavey
    I ran a 350 Mag/Alpha 1 for five hard seasons without a shower and had no problems whatsoever. I removed the alkali buildup once a year with a $5.00 bottle of Lime-A-Way and fifteen minutes of elbow grease. Five years later the drive still looked new.

Dr. Eagle
    Originally posted by RiverDave
    Well we went over this last time...
    Prove it.
    How do you know that hotter temps (or normal operating temps of 180 degrees) aren't "better" for the drive? How do you know that your not letting your drive come up to "nominal" operating temperature? Is colder always better? If so, then why run a valve on jetboats and adjust engine temp? Why not just run it wide open and let it cool the motor as much as possible? etc.. etc..
    If the damn thing needed one then Merc woulda put one on there. Or recomended one on certain applications.. I.E. Merc sais pretty much flat out over 70 ITS / or Hydraulic steering.
    On those tests that you read, (which I'm pretty sure is the same one I read) it said "oil temps" reach 180 degrees etc... Well how hot does that make the case? How much is putting water on the case actually cooling the oil?? Most importantly do you even want to cool the oil?
    Bottom line, they look cool and there cheap so people buy them. Are they a necessity? well I can tell ya every chaparell deckboat, bayliner, etc.. running a stock Merc application seem to be running fine and 99.9% of them aren't running a drive shower..
    RD
    Well lets see RD. I think Merc integrated a drive cooler in the Bravo 2 and 3. That should tell us something....

mtndewdrops
    IMCO makes a nice one for $120. I have one from www.EddieMarine.com that I paid $145 for. It is chrome and covers the entire top of the bearing housing. It comes with a steel braided pickup tube. I installed it myself in about an hour, it is pretty simple. They include a template to locate the 2 holes to drill for the pick-up tube fitting.
    Tools required:
    Center Punch
    Drill motor
    1/2" & 9/32" High Speed drill bits
    Countersink tool
    12pt 3/8" socket

Dr. Eagle
    Originally posted by mtndewdrops
    IMCO makes a nice one for $120.
    That is the same drive shower I used on my Eagle. I don't think that IMCO makes one for the Alpha though...

phuggit
    Lets see...Scoop and hat backwards for more speed. No damn wonder I wasn't going anywhere.
    I have the Eddie Marine too. Don't know if it really does any good or not, but It's chrome and it looks good.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234