Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Boat Prices

rvrtoy
    Originally posted by HighRoller
    Can you say "Home Equity loan"? Boat builders will continue to sell 150K boats as long as people will hock their houses to buy them! It used to be that you got a car-type loan for a boat but nowadays you get an RV loan or a second on your house. Pretty insane to use equity from an appreciating asset to purchase one that will depreciate 20% in the first year. Regardless, the boat companies will raise prices as long as demand is strong. Personally, looking at Ultra's new prices, I don't see how I could justify dropping 50K on a 21ft boat with a small block.
    I believe Ultra is selling it's 21 Stealth for $42k with a Merc 350 and Bravo drive that is loaded very well with optional equiptment. Sounds like a pretty good deal to me.

mbrown2
    Yeah...they are probably out of line....guess I am out of line for paying it

mbrown2
    The mag prices are inflated......you can get a much better deal than is listed...obviously folks want to sell boats...they are not giving them away, but you can get better deal...at least 10 to 15% off the total....some can get more and some will get less..

roln 20s
    By today's standards, I am super impressed with the price on the Force 29 cat. 92K for an 85mph 29+ foot boat- loaded. Thats pretty damn good.
    I was looking at an old ***boat article of the 26 Howard cat in 99- 64K with the HP500 Carb. In the most recent Howard 26 cat with the HP500- now its 95K. Cost haven't gone up that much- but demand sure has.
    As its been stated- the more people are willing to spend, the more the costs will go up. The loan market with such low rates probably is helping to the high costs- low interest rates attract buyers.
    Roln 20s

rivercrazy
    I think a major contributing factor to the high cost of boats is a virtual monopoly on engine/drive suppliers. Merc has a lock on the market with very little outside competition on their outdrive / motor lines. Outboards are different story to some degree.
    Just price what motor / drive combo's are for the 350's , 6.2's, 377's, 496's, 500hp's, 525hp's, etc.....
    The high prices of the motor/drive packages doesn'g give the manufacturers much room to keep prices low.

jbtrailerjim
    Originally posted by RiverDave
    2 years ago a friend of mine purchased a 21' Stealth loaded with every option, with a 350 / Bravo for 30K out the door.
    4 years ago a certain 22.6 Nordic fully loaded with a 454 Mag was bought for 40K out the door..
    RD
    8 Years ago I bought my 22ft. Essex with 350/Alpha for $29.000 out the door. That included all the bell's and whistles, a spare stainless prop and a tow cover.
    But I'm guilty of spendin over $50k on my new Ultra.

mbrown2
    RD, you are almost correct...
    In regards to Force...Powerboat, September 2001...Has the 26 with a 509 all other features, 85mph - $64,000
    The 29 with same engine and features...$69,500
    Just had an old issue laying around the office

The price of a new boat is precisely why I elected to rebuild a 1975 Spectra from the ground up. My new/rebuilt Spectra will include all new gel coat with multi colored graphics, new upholstery, all new Legend jet drive, ride plate, shoe, hydraulic diverter, pump set back, stainless impellor, new stteering, al new wiring, gauges ect., ect., and ect.! Also this includes a totlaly refurbished triple axel trailer with chrome fenders and all the the goodies i can include and think of. I was lucky I already had a BBC ready to go!
    Not including the motor but this does include my original cost of the used hull and trailer I will spend $25,000.00. I am sure this boat brand new with the equipment i will have in it would cost me $55k to $65k easy.
    Buying new just doesn't make any since to me any more...not unless you just gots to have it!

hd&boatrider
    I paid $35K in 99 for my Commander 2300LX with a 454 Mag. I can get that back in a trade up for a bigger boat. After being ready to place an order for a Magic Deck I decided to keep my boat as I have no problems with it. Looks good, drives well and is quicker than most. I decided to buy real estate instead. I was able to pay cash for a nice lot + buy another house instead of throwing money into a big never ending pit. The new boat would have been sweet but sanity won this time . When is enough, enough? When people quit buying the products. It is all about demand. If the demand is there the price will continue to go up.

Quality Time
    Keep in mind, the prices listed in magazines are sometimes MSRP. Typically nobody really pays MSRP. Also, those blue motors jack-up the price in a hurry.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast