Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Boat Prices

BADBLOWN572
    It actually can depend on the boat because freequently the boats tested in ***boat differ in the pricing than what was tested. I know several boats that were at the tests that were fully loaded with every option that could be installed and the article came out below what the customer paid. They would leave out options like halon system, custom seating, stereo, etc... That pissed the customer off because it would be negative on their re-sale. The manufacturer does not want to test a boat that will be out of the price range of 95% of the potential buyers so therefore they lower the price to make it sound like a much better deal than it it actually is. There is no way that a customer could walk in and say that they want the boat identical to the boat tested for the same price. If they got it for the same price, it would be stripped.
    I think that it is different for every manufacturer who sends their boat to ***boat. They either price it high so they have some room to negotiate or they price them low to make them look more attractive and then start hammering the customer on the options.

HighRoller
    MB2, I wasn't baggin on EVERYONE with an expensive rig. Obviously from what you told me you can actually AFFORD yours. I just hate to see someone buy a big boat for 120K with the equity from their house, then they get laid off and have to sell it for 80-90K a year later. And a lot of these people have never owned a boat before! From what I've seen on the river/lake, it's all about impressing other people these days rather than buying what you want. Somebody a couple years ago worded it perfectly. "These guys have a boat worth 100K being pulled by a lifted F-350 but they couldn't afford to buy me a beer or put gas in the boat." That's what happens I guess. If you can't afford to buy something, finance it.
    As far as advertised prices, I guess the super high magazine prices are designed to train the uneducated guy who wants a boat today. He'll walk in and order without shopping or negotiating, and therefore pay 10K more than another informed buyer. I guess you could compare it to paying "full sticker" for a car, right?

phebus
    Originally posted by hd&boatrider
    I paid $35K in 99 for my Commander 2300LX with a 454 Mag. I can get that back in a trade up for a bigger boat. After being ready to place an order for a Magic Deck I decided to keep my boat as I have no problems with it. Looks good, drives well and is quicker than most. I decided to buy real estate instead. I was able to pay cash for a nice lot + buy another house instead of throwing money into a big never ending pit. The new boat would have been sweet but sanity won this time . When is enough, enough? When people quit buying the products. It is all about demand. If the demand is there the price will continue to go up.
    I'm with you on this. The best "mistake" I ever made was putting off the purchase of a new boat, and buying a house in Havasu instead. The equity I have made will pay for a new boat now when I choose to buy one, where, had I bought a new boat, my depreciation would have been more than my down payment on the house.
    I guess even a blind squirrel finds a nut sometime!!

mikev
    1988 19' Donzi $7500.00
    built 383 $5500.00
    blowing the doors of a brand new $50,000 baja or searay PRICELESS

mbrown2
    Highroller, I did not take as a negative...I was only making a joke...
    I also agree with Badblown572...I have seen several boats where the Mag price was cheaper than the real price or at least the options were listed incorrectly...
    For example, last year they tested XFactor's boat and listed the stereo as a phaseIII for 3500 or something....Yeah right....
    Try and get his stereo system for that price....His system is the shit and it ain't no where close to that to reproduce...

77charger
    I think that most new boat prices are ridiculous esp considering it sits most of the time as compared to a nice car or truck.Plus you lose your ass if you want to sell.
    When i bought a used boat last year i saw a lot of boats that were in the trader for months(looked in oct saw the same boats in may for less$)I ended up seeing my boat go from 20k to17k and got it for 16k(saw in late aug bought in oct) still a little more than i wanted to pay but the boat was extremely clean(93 eliminator 21 open bow)Plus my wife liked it also and it was going to be a family boat so speed doesnt matter if i want to go fast i drive the boat below which will break 110 before any big blown motor cat barely gets on plane

i bought a brand new 1993 ultra for 22000.

DogHouse
    Originally posted by 77charger
    ...if i want to go fast i drive the boat below which will break 110 before any big blown motor cat barely gets on plane
    Like to see you try that in the middle of lake havasu on a busy summer afternoon!
    Apples 'n oranges...
    I agree that boat prices are getting silly, but like others have said the manufacturers will keep charging as long as people keep buying. In retrospect I sometimes think I should have done a nice resto instead of buying new. Oh well, guess I'll have to settle for what I've got...

Kilrtoy
    I know the Maufactures raise the price of the boats in the mag, But even if you drop 10 or 20K off the high end boats, My god they are still in the ridicules area.....
    As far as the Home / cash out / new boat, I have heard that from manufactures and I think that is one reason......
    2 years ago I was qouted 82K, which I knew the price would go down to about 78 or so and this year the same boat is 109K and may go down a little.
    The Merc motor did not go up but 3k since then....
    Thats still a 30K jump......

rude235
    what i want to know is how can one boat builder charge one price for a motor/drive package and another will charge an entirely different price for the exact same motor/drive package??

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast