Thread: Hoists, length problems?

Any of you guys having issues getting the hoist directory over the block when pulling the motor? Shit, tonight i had to jack up the trailer pull one tire off, push the hoist as close as i could, lower the trailer a bit and i was still off by 4 or 5 inch's. I ended jamming some socket extentions in the chain to force the engine to balance diffrently and stacked pillows on the side. As i hoised the motor up my dad pulled the motor to help keep it off the side. I though maybe it was because i bought this cheapo hoist but he said he had the same problem last time he did it with his buddys good one.
    I'm wondering if this is a normal problem for you guys and what you do/did to fix it. I cant come in from behind because the jet, also teh trailer is too big for this boat. The trailer sticks out about 1 foot or so longer than the back of the boat. It' also a tandem axle trailer. boat is a 18' Anthoney

The real high buck cherry pickers extend far enough but I've still had to jack up the trailer to clear the legs.
    Finally got sick of it and built an A frame with a chain hoist several years ago. No more problems.

Infomaniac
    Like Rexone said or extend the arm on the hoist. Might have to weight down the rear of the hoist. Will probably require a thicker arm for the additional stress.

GofastRacer
    Man I been down that road before now I have a shop with a 12' high chain hoist on a dolly, that is sweet!..

wsuwrhr
    Drop the tongue all the way to the ground, the back end will lift up adding a couple of inches to the rear of the trailer.
    Brian

Fiat48
    Bought a heavy "tip tow" style picker from a rental outfit. Then extended the boom with solid square stock.

I was thinking i could extend the boom, I'm not too worried about the balance as thats a easy fix. What i'm really worried about is the fact that when you extend the boom you change the geomitry and now can lift less, On the farthest setting it's labeled 1/2 ton, buy the looks of it if i pushed it out another 4-5 inches i'd need to probably cut 1/3 off that.
    Also, this is a generic lift, made by american tools or somthing like that, one of those name it american but made in china dilios. The pump on it is rated at 8 tons.

RandyH
    After much searching I was able to find a cherry picker made by AC Delco that had 60 inches of reach clearance at the 1000 pound rating. It does not fold like some of the cheaper ones do now but still allows you to take the bottom supports off and stab them into pockets vertically and roll it around and stow it easily.
    I needed about 58 Inches of reach to get to the Center of the intake manifold.
    I got this at O'Reillys Auto Parts but I see that they are mostly in the Midwest. It was reasonable priced at about 200 dollars.
    The heavy industrial types made by OTC that have tremendous reaches and capacities start at 1500 to 6000K.
    http://www.otctools.com/
    And some of those dont even fold.
    Good Luck,
    RandyH