Thread: Okoume Marine plywood

FlatRat
    Has anyone heard of this type of plywood?They say it's stronger and lighter than Fir.Kinda of looks like Mahogany.They sent me a sample,it's 7 ply.They meaning the manufacture.Have searched alot of marine plywood web sites and all seem to recomend it.Anyone?

gochappy
    theres plenty of info on it. its apparently a european standard for untreated tropical hardwood. There are some comparisons on-line if you scroll down a ways....also if theres one in your area instead of asking a retailer, I would talk to a plywood rep from someone like georgia pacific or weyerhauser

FlatRat
    Done some checking,seems it's African Mahogany.Supposed to be good stuff,the stuff everybodys useing.Rep says there is no such thing as clear Doug Fir plywood.Grade specs are 5 to 9 plugs,patches per sheet.F that.How does
    Honduran Mahogany measure up to Fir.Rep also says Okoume is 30 lbs per 4x8 sheet and Fir is 38 lbs per sheet.Any suggestion from the pros or am I the only knucklehead who's doing this. :idea:Well poop,guess I'll polish hadware.

MANIC MECHANIC
    Just out of curiosity, How much($) per sheet?
    And 7ply is how thick?
    I guess it all depends on how much you want to spend to save a few pounds.
    Tim

gochappy
    yes there is clear doug fir ply.....the grade allows for the plugs but there are sheets of clear with no plugs if you pick through the stack. also it can be ordered clear with no plugs but its very expensive. Better to just pick through some units and find the clear ones if thats what you want. I've never seen a plug fail though. The core is where its strength is from....generally on a more expensive sheet it will be called out as a no void core.

FlatRat
    Tim, 7 ply is 3/8".
    The price depends on where you shop.I got quote from Edensaw.com for 58.00 for a 4x8x3/8.The largest sheet from them is 5x10.I found another place where you can it in 4x16,4x18.Price for 4x16 is 189.00,no price listed for 4x18.
    Gochappy,
    do you have a place in mind that I can call and check?I'm only about 3 hrs from Sandpoint.Can you say road trip?
    Thanks,Tim:eek!: :eek!: :eek!:

gochappy
    Tim, I have a friend who is a rep down in Ca for a pretty large plywood and hardwood dealer...tried to get ahold of him with no success. I will continue to persue it. He will know and probably have phone numbers and names. Also, Egypt is no where near Sandpoint. LOL.....3 hours feom Sandpoint...lets see today with road conditions thats about 20 miles I think...

topgun
    If you are going for strength, go with the Doug Fir. If you are you laminating it for stringers, etc that is what I would use. I have used okoume to build some small hydros where I wanted the woodgrain to show through. It is not as strong as Doug Fir and cost a buttload more. If its going to be laminated and glassed over go with the Fir.
    My .02

FlatRat
    10-4,
    on the roads,snowin' like a bugger over here.Oh yeah, I'm in Eureka,Mt.Kinda seems like Egypt sometimes.If you can come up with a # ,that would be great.
    Topgun,I agree with you.I want to put Fir back in.Just haven't been able to hook up as of yet.Hopefully somebody out there has a line on some.Did a little polishing on the motor mounts and put in some new wood in the dash today.

topgun
    For a fairly decent list of suppliers go to Glen-L.com and scroll down to useful info and suppliers, there is a fairly good list of plywood dealers in the US. If you're in Cali. I looked and there are quite a few.