Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: On Board Battery Chargers

mbrown2
    BF,
    I will probably call them...when I was contemplating the Xantrex system, a couple of folks I talked to said the "Power Supply Route" was the other way to go...but no one could give me website or information on who was making these power supplies that the folks were using in show cars and displays, so I could not get a lot of info...
    I am going to look into...if it can charge smart.....it might be next upgrade...

BoatFloating
    Originally posted by mbrown2
    BF,
    I will probably call them...when I was contemplating the Xantrex system, a couple of folks I talked to said the "Power Supply Route" was the other way to go...but no one could give me website or information on who was making these power supplies that the folks were using in show cars and displays, so I could not get a lot of info...
    I am going to look into...if it can charge smart.....it might be next upgrade...
    Keep me posted, I might go that route also with the new setup.

rivercrazy
    Whoa 50, 75, and 90 amp chargers. Can you set those models for a lower amp charge like 5-10 amps or do they automatically sense a power need in excess of a battery charge and kick up the amp supply? I know for sure if you hit a discharged battery with a 90 amp charge, your gonna kill the cells pretty quick.

BoatFloating
    Originally posted by rivercrazy
    Whoa 50, 75, and 90 amp chargers. Can you set those models for a lower amp charge like 5-10 amps or do they automatically sense a power need in excess of a battery charge and kick up the amp supply? I know for sure if you hit a discharged battery with a 90 amp charge, your gonna kill the cells pretty quick.
    This will keep the battery from every hitting that low of a amount. The higher the charge isn't always that bad on a battery as long as it's automatic. My Sear's charger puts out 60amp. Remember if your at 90amp you divide it by the # of batteries and for the most part 2 is the norm, so that would be 45amp. Heck they have alternators out there that put out 200 amps.

rivercrazy
    I guess the only difference would be how many amps the alternator is charging the batts with after running the motor and any other accessories. And splitting the charge between a few batts is also a great point.
    Does a voltage regulator limit the amps a battery is getting as well as volts?

ROZ
    Don't get too technical now...... We use that type of power supply in our display boards, but MUCH larger ...
    The only question I would have is if the unit automatically turns on for charging and off when the batteries are fully charged...

Steamin' Rice
    Am I following this correctly?
    Install the generator, plug the power suppy into the 110V output of the generator, and wire the output of the power supply in parallel to the batteries? I might need to look into this in more detail... Mbrown, your setup looks killer....

ROZ
    Originally posted by Steamin' Rice
    Am I following this correctly?
    Install the generator, plug the power suppy into the 110V output of the generator, and wire the output of the power supply in parallel to the batteries? I might need to look into this in more detail... Mbrown, your setup looks killer....
    No more looking needed. You're following correctly...

Steamin' Rice
    Mr. Roz..You got the hookup on the power supplies????

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12