Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Carbon monoxide in the channel

Havasu Cig
    Cool, I can't wait to see it.

randy77zt
    most of the new pwc 2 strokes are efi and run clean.my outboard runs a little rich but the smoke you see is unburned hydrocarbons not co.those big boats with camshafts and holley carbs with blown power valves throw out a lot more smog.i think the channel should be run 1 way a couple of weekends and the air sampled .but the fact that government is involved means that no easy common sense based solution will be found.maybe some pull ropes in the water running on electric motors so you can shut your motor off.

Infomaniac
    METHANOL
    Problem solved. No Carbon Monoxide emissions

fourspeednup
    Originally posted by randy77zt
    most of the new pwc 2 strokes are efi and run clean.my outboard runs a little rich but the smoke you see is unburned hydrocarbons not co.those big boats with camshafts and holley carbs with blown power valves throw out a lot more smog.i think the channel should be run 1 way a couple of weekends and the air sampled .but the fact that government is involved means that no easy common sense based solution will be found.maybe some pull ropes in the water running on electric motors so you can shut your motor off.
    I agree with the second part, but the blower motors you described with cams and blown power valves only make them run richer, just like your OB. The sweet, rotten smell is unburned gas (hydrocarbons). I think CO comes from burning too hot

SHOTKALLIN
    ORIGINALY POSTED BY:Infomaniac
    METHANOL
    Problem solved. No Carbon Monoxide emissions
    Can Methanol powered engines achieve high horsepower? does it have a high enough octane for hi output engines?
    If so W.T.F.
    When are the marine engine builders gonna jump on this? We know why the auto manufacturers won't do it. They have thier hands in the OPEC cookie jar along with the tire companys. Why doesn't someone like Teaugue or Pfaff run with this? Sounds simple.

Boatcop
    Maybe they should ban swimming in the channel. If you can't swim, you can't drown!!
    It's already illegal to swim in the channel.
    As far as "banning 2-strokes", they are not the major offender. CO is the result of burning oxygen. You can get CO from a propane space heater or Coleman lantern or camp stove.
    Smaller engines put out less CO than larger ones. Less combustion space = less CO. No, the major violators are the big block engines left idling or just cruising slow through the channel.
    There may be more haze from the 2-strokes, but what you're seeing is unburned oil smoke, which in itself contans minimal CO. Maybe bad for visibility and irritating to the throat and nose, but not deadly.
    You can't see or smell CO, nor are you aware when you're breathing it. By the time you feel the effects, you're already 1/2 way to death. Most mistake the symptoms for heat related illness, sea-sickness, or hang-over from the nght before.
    What is the solution? Aside from installing catalyic converters on all our boats, I think the steps will be enacted by the city, such as no idling while beached, no loitering in the channel (boats keep moving through, rather than circling in one area), and one way traffic.
    Fines will probably be pretty hefty for violations. They will have to recoup some of that lawsuit money somehow. Let the ones causing the problem pay for it.
    Think about this if you have a place in the Keys, also. On major weekends with boats cruising through or idling at the dock for the stereo, there can be a substantial CO problem. Especially for kids swimming and those that commonly float around on air mats. Their faces are mere inches off the water surface, where the CO tends to linger.
    A lot will tend to put the blame on the obvious polluters, such as PWCs and outboards, not realizing that their own boats are the major cause of the problem.

You Te
    Some drunk dies now Lake Havasu gets sued and everyone has to pay for it.
    I guess I will be filing a law suit against Lake Havasu because all those big boats they allow on the lake make the water so rough I now have stress cracks on the hull.
    You Te

Tom Brown
    Maybe some of you folks should start a class action suit against the city for infringing on your lifestyle.

clownpuncher
    Originally posted by titties and beer
    WHY NOT SOME BIG FANS(LIKE THE FIRE DEPT USE) PUT SOME UP ON the beach and get the air moving ,hell maybe one of those dick head gang bangers will stick hes head in it for fun
    Might seem like a simple solution, but, the fans that the FD's use actually put out CO too

paradigm shift
    Originally posted by You Te
    Some drunk dies now Lake Havasu gets sued and everyone has to pay for it.
    I guess I will be filing a law suit against Lake Havasu because all those big boats they allow on the lake make the water so rough I now have stress cracks on the hull.
    You Te
    LOL, Yep that is not that far off unfortunantly. No one seems to take the responsibility for there own actions any more.
    Testing needs done for sure what ever is done. I think one way is a good option. One of my fears is they will just move the problem somewhere else harder to manage. It all started with closing down or restricting Copper Canyon then it was the Sandbar. Where will it end.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast