Thread: Safe Speed

Sorceress
    I presently have a 1989 Baja Sport with the 454 330 HP. I can only get about 60 MPH. I would like to go faster but was told by a retired race boat mechanic that going any faster in this boat would be asking for trouble. Does anybody agree to this statement and if so, what would be the reasons? One last thing, I do have Stainless Marine without any mufflers and I do like the sound. If I was to change moters what would anybody recommend?
    Thanks

Rigger
    A new boat. One that is built for higher performance.

boatless
    I owned a '91 Baja 260. The previous owner had a 800hp monster in the boat and never saw anything over 86mph. He said the boat chinewalked all over. Baja is made to be a stought big lake boat. If your looking for higher speed find another boat. Sorry

diligaf
    If you go w/ about 500 hp you should be in the 73 mph range and your baja will handle it just fine.... it takes a lot of horsepower to get into the 70's...

555cid
    I have a 1990 baja 250es 27.2 inches the same as a new 272 bajas I have put tree motors in this boat 497hp 468ci 625hp 540ci 756hp 555ci the boat runs over 80mph on gps and feels great. I do have duel hdy steering with a set back stern jack made by imco and shaved the back of the boat it had to small hooks in it shaved the boat for speed only. First does your drive have any play in it if it does get it fixs or put hdy steeing on the boat play in the steering will make the boat walk at hi speeds when you get most of the boat out of the water the drive will keep the boat straight 2nd if the boat does not have the trim on the throttle get one there my boat didn't and have it on the throttle and it realy helps. I don't no how long your boat is but in high winds and big waves be real carefull some times you just have to back of the gas.

Sorceress
    To 555cid,
    My boat is 24 feet in lenght. After the first few responses to my question it sounds like Baja boats are not on everyone's most favorite list. I am not about to give it up because it is free and clear. I do not have hydraulic steering but if I do go to a crate motor I would definitely upgrade. I am a recent transplant from NJ and now reside in the Tampa area and do most of my boating in the Gulf by Eggmont Key among all the recent shark sightings. I just invested in an aluminum slide on trailer because my steel custom trailer literally rusted to junk. I really like my boat except I feel it is about 15 MPH slower than what I would like to be running. I just can't get over the clarirty of the water down here compared to NJ.
    Thanks again

555cid
    A freind of mind had a 24 fOOT out law with a blown 502ci 27 three blade. I watch him race two boats at the lake and the boat seemed to handle the speed fine I was on the water in a small ski boat at the time and I was looking real close it was a good show. I road in the boat once and we only took the boat to 70mph because his young girl was in the boat the water was rough the boat handle fine at 70 I know. I like baja boats on v bottoms my next boat will be a cat maybe 24 htm but right know I'm happy running over 80mph gps.

boatless
    Free and clear - I understand that.
    Your best bet (depending on $$$) is find a 502mag then supercharge. Whipple makes a great and easy setup. If money is the issue, your cheapest and most gain for the buck still will be a Whipple. You can still run pump gas, 10-15 mph increase and maintain the dependability. Good luck

powerplay230
    Sorceress
    I boat in the Tampa bay area also, love the water here. If you are looking for someone who knows their stuff and will tell you the truth (if you want to hear it or not) then you need to talk to Ray Henke at Force 10 Marine in Pinellas. His shop is located just north of Gandy Blvd on 49th St. He builds everything from almost stock to 1000Hp motors, he's does awesome work and is down to earth. He helped me figure out some problems I was having on my boat when repowering. Let me know if you need a number..