Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Is Dcb So Special????????

BLOWN HOWARD
    Just trying to figure out why you pay soo much for a DCB, I always heard of them being awsome on there rigging and now they are coming out with all kinds of boats, I always thought they just used Eliminator hulls, Am i wrong here, do they make all there own hulls and if soo were did the molds come from

mbrown2
    I don't think I paid anymore than a similarly rigged cat??
    But why I think they are special....
    1. Ride - Awesome riding boats, CG is always right... no hands on the wheel..tracks straight, takes a nice set after plan, leans the right way for a cat in the turns, fast hull, let off the gas nothing funny happens....Blue-printed bottom on every boat...
    2. Rigging - No one is close...if they rigged V-Drives, Schiada would have a run for their money...
    3. Hardware - All of their own...always tweaked to make each year better...
    4. Build out - You can have it your way...really your way..
    5. Experience - Some boat builds are a nightmare, and some are OK, building with the teams down there is like making art....they don't just throw together boats...and my experience after owning two and having one built has been good as well..
    6. Dave is a perfectionist and kind of expects the same of his whole crew and it shows in his boats....that quality can get in the way in other fields, but it seems right in the boat building industry.
    My .02

BLOWN HOWARD
    Sounds like some killer boats never been in one but they look nice thats for sure, The rigging has always caught my attention in the boats definetly they take some time and pride in that department. Whose molds are there boats coppied after though, or did they make there own molds.

mbrown2
    They tooled a majority of their boats themselves......The only molds I am aware of that were not tooled by them were the 22 and 24 extreme that they no longer produce. They tooled the 22, 26, 28-V, 29, and 34...

BLOWN HOWARD
    Thats cool, so they no longer are makin any Vee bottoms huh, guess the markets headed into cat land for them,Well those cats look good on the water maybe someday when the stock market shoots through the roof i will be able to afford one.

mbrown2
    They still make a 28 V...regular deck and canopied.....
    What kind of Howard do you have? They make a great boat as well...

boxscore
    Originally posted by mbrown2
    I don't think I paid anymore than a similarly rigged cat??
    But why I think they are special....
    1. Ride - Awesome riding boats, CG is always right... no hands on the wheel..tracks straight, takes a nice set after plan, leans the right way for a cat in the turns, fast hull, let off the gas nothing funny happens....Blue-printed bottom on every boat...
    2. Rigging - No one is close...if they rigged V-Drives, Schiada would have a run for their money...
    3. Hardware - All of their own...always tweaked to make each year better...
    4. Build out - You can have it your way...really your way..
    5. Experience - Some boat builds are a nightmare, and some are OK, building with the teams down there is like making art....they don't just throw together boats...and my experience after owning two and having one built has been good as well..
    6. Dave is a perfectionist and kind of expects the same of his whole crew and it shows in his boats....that quality can get in the way in other fields, but it seems right in the boat building industry.
    My .02
    Well summarized Mike...
    All the hulls in the line-up are Dave's. Those Eliminator days were taken away when Bob Leach realized that Dave was a "competitor". Bob made that phone call to Dave many years ago and cut him off. Thank goodness Dave was "mandated" to tool his very own hulls starting with the mach22

XTRM22
    Being one of DCB's biggest cheerleaders, I have to chime in here too. MBrown is correct, The 22' and 24' Extremes were the first hulls that Dave actually owned the molds, not splashed or copied, purchased form the Leach brothers. Eliminator made a few of these hulls before selling the molds to Dave, they were called Extreme Cyclones. All of the Mach hulls are DCB tooled and designed with some of the industries best designers. My 22' Extreme is 7 years old and approaching 400 hrs on the engine and I've never had anything come loose, had a stress crack, or had any problem that wasn't directly attributed to owner being a block head . I also always mention that even though I own what is probably the slowest and cheapest DCB ever built they still treat me with the same customer care as one of their much higher dollar customers. Ok anything else I'd add would just be repeating what MBrown summarized.
    Chuck

Havasu Cig
    Nice boats but...
    Untill recently the hardware was from Dana, not there own stuff. I heard dave now contracts with a company to make the billet hardware. I also heard that there were some posible legal disputes between Dana and the new supplier because of some copied pieces, but this was second hand info to me.
    Their rigging is awesome, but I will but my Cig up against a DCB anyday. This also goes for some of the Skaters I have seen as well.
    When I owned my DCB's I though nothing else out there could touch them. I was stuck on West Coast built boats, and never considered anything else.
    I went to Dick Simon Marine one day, where a friend worked, and seeing the Cigs, Skaters, OL's ect...I realized there was another world out there besides what was built in So. Cal.
    Not taking anything away from DCB, even though I admit I have had issues with them, but they are not the only game in town.
    Just my .02

Dave C
    I saw an f-29 at the Norcal boatshow and according to all that you guys have said, I was kind of "underwhelmed."
    It was an extremely nice boat, very clean rigging but the interior and gel were very plain and I was unimpressed. They told me that the F-29 was rigged for "speed" although I don't buy that excuse.
    I was more impressed by the Ultra. Shadow 27 and 29 V. Interior and gel coat were very impressive.
    IMO gel coats are more important than billet hardware because you can always upgrade hardware during or after the build. Gel coats are permanent. Also contrary to popular belief you can demand better rigging (I did)
    (Although MBrown's DCB has an impressive gel coat job. )
    Disclaimer for all you DCB guys: I may not be a good arbiter because I have only seen a few DCB's in person but have seen many Elim's, Carrera's, Ultras, HTM's.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast