Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Stereo System

rivercrazy
    Originally posted by Havasu Hangin'
    helping my cheap-ass friends
    Hey! Watch your tongue cause I resemble that remark!!

ROZ
    Originally posted by rivercrazy
    Hey! Watch your tongue cause I resemble that remark!!
    I hear you're not the only one....Does Joe the amp you sold him installed yet?
    HH is right on regarding the gear. We call it SWISS, or Sell What's In Stock Stuipd..... A lot of guys don't want you spending money at the competition if they think it has what you need/want, so they give props to the next best thing they stock in order to make the deal. Someone who wants to take care of you will special order what you want if he has access to it....

WHIPPED502
    Rivercrazy was there a sound difference between the marine and auto Kappas? I found some marine Kappas online for about $110.00 a pair. A friend has some new 10" Polk Momos he is willing to give up for about $100.00 a pair. Does any one know how they sound? They are rated at 500/1000 watts. Will the JBL 600.1 be enough to run them or should I use the 1200.1? The price for the 1200.1 is about $290.00. If I don't use the 6 channel Audiobahn can I power 3 sets of speakers with a 4 channel amp? Should I get 2-4 channel amps and power the subs and 6x9's on one and the 6.5 on another? If so what amps could I use that are reasonably priced?
    Like it has been mentioned before, the guys at the stereo shops don't know crap about boats systems and want to sell you what they have because it is the best and the stuff they used to carry that was the best is now junk. Once again thanks for the help.
    John

rivercrazy
    Tough call. Both 6X9's sound great but I would give the nod to the car 693.5i's. Better power handling and I really like the Emit-R tweeter in the car set. The marine set has a silk dome tweet that sounds great and is a little smoother but not as loud. The car set I'm referring to has a tweet and super tweet and comes with a seperate passive crossover. The marine set just has a cap soldered to the speaker as a crossover.
    As for the subs, I've never heard those before but 500 watt RMS power rating is pretty good. Are they 4 ohm single voice coil? Dual voice coil? If they are single voice coil you could wire two subs in parallel for a 2 ohm load and the JBL 600 would put out 650-700 watts (or about 325 each or so). If you have dual voice coil subs you could wire it for a 1 ohm load and that amp is stable at that rating. But it wont put out any more power at 2 versus 1 ohm. I'd probably go with the 1200 cause it will give you more wiring options, it has more power, etc.
    Assuming the 6 channel amp is full range on all 6 channels, you could wire 6 speakers to it. I wouldnt really recommend wiring 6 speakers to a 4 channel amp. You could wire two to two channels but then would have to wire 4 in a series wired configuration. That presents an unequal load to the amp and gives the 4 wired to two channels 1/2 the power. Ask HH and Roz though, I could be wrong here.
    I would probably go with 2 component amps. A high powered 4 channel for 4 speakers and a 2 channel amp for the other 2. -OR- go with two 2-channel amps that are 2 ohm stable. Then you could effectively run up to 8 speakers wired in a parallel configuration. If you go that route, you might plan for some amplifer fans cause it will run warmer at 2 ohms.
    But there are many ways to skin a cat. Keep asking for recommendations.

ROZ
    Originally posted by rivercrazy
    But there are many ways to skin a cat. Keep asking for recommendations.
    I think you meant that there's more than one way to kill a fish

rivercrazy

payloan
    Just my .02 I'm working with a guy here in Brea "Advantage Audio & Alarm" the guys name is Jamie he relly knows his stuff , I think, (cause quite frankly I dont ) but anyhow I'm a Crossfire guy myself cannot beat the bang for the buck. Jamie is all about good quality without overkill I'm taking her over to him on tuesday to pick up where we left off (last year) In all the system will consist of, 1 600watt sub D amp (note this is all crossfire)
    2 12" D3 subs
    12 6.5" (marine by crossfire)
    1 4x600 watt amp
    1 4x400 watt amp
    2 Odyssy baterries to add to my existing 2 deep cycles
    Per Jamie he recommended 6.5" over 6x9's for the reason as we all know it "open air environment" your really not gonna get that little bit of base that comes with the 6x9's so you might as well get all the pure sound out of the 6.5". The subs will obviously be tucked up underneath the dash angled down at about a 45 degree angle to bounce off the floor, creating a better sounding base. Everything custom and through bolted (thug proof) so I think. By the way I'm still open for some advice afterall her date is not until tuesday, so any would be appreciated and comfort of knowing that this guy does know his stuff or maybe change my mind. It 's not over till the holes are cut. By the way is'nt this Timmys Thread

ROZ
    Originally posted by payloan
    Everything custom and through bolted (thug proof) so I think. By the way I'm still open for some advice afterall her date is not until tuesday, so any would be appreciated and comfort of knowing that this guy does know his stuff or maybe change my mind. It 's not over till the holes are cut.
    No "so I think"s... You need the heavey items through bolted or they WILL fall. Also make sure he uses stainless hardware...
    Sounds like you have a good system ready to install. My only suggestion is that you take a good listen to their "marine grade" speakers before you have them installed... There are only a handfull of MFG's that make a marine grade speaker that both sounds and performs well. If there is a set of quality car speakers you like better, don't be afraid to use them...Just make sure they use a poly cone and have a rubber surround.. Grills and trim can be painted to match the boat or it's interior...
    Good luck, and post before and after pictures!
    Chris

hd&boatrider
    I think all of us need to pitch in and put Roz on some kind of retainer basis .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12