Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Eaton Interceptor-AKA-Volvo Penta

mirvin
    That sounds good.
    Regarding the WOT: I've been told on these boards that the 5.7 (350) is somewhere around 4600 to 5100. You should start a thread about "302 Ford WOT?". The guys with small block fords will chime in and you should get some good info. You'll also need to factor in the fact that your's has been built up a little too. (you can also check my thread about "5.7 WOT" and see what people are saying about prop selection and what not)
    Is that the stock drive on that boat or was it swapped? If it's original my guess is that in 1969 they didn't make a mess of different models......I would guess. If it was put in later than you might just have a 280..
    We'll wait for the pics.

SteveDavid
    If it is a 1969 model, it might still be an Eaton/Yale outdrive. They were a stand alone company in that era and primarily used behind Chrysler and Ford marinized products. The Interceptor was a marinized Ford. as a 289 CI it was 165 HP and mated to an Eaton drive. (200 HP with a 4 barrell) If your's is a Volvo drive, it was either a 200 model or similar series. They used Michigan props with a series # similar to SMC 538 or thereabouts. The Holman Moody Ford derivative was very similar and I ran their Holman Moody 225 in my 1969 18' Donzi. The 289/302 are essentially identical and should run between 4400 and 4800 rpm. If you can't find a prop, call Jimmy Jr. at Frank and Jimmies prop shop in Fort Lauderdale, Florida. Fine people, huge shop that's been a round for 50 plus years.
    Good luck!

sinkn-feeln
    OK, I've found assembly diagrams on a Volvo site, and I think it may be a 275 Aquamatic.
    http://www.volvopentaparts.com/Volvo...ly.asp?ID=8235
    As far as the motor, this may not be the original motor. The valve covers are marked with 190HP, and it had a 2bbl carb on it. I'm assuming this is a 302, because when I did the rebuild I found 302 on the heads. I've changed the intake to aluminum and added a 4bbl Holley, so I figure I'm above 200HP now.
    Excuse my ignorance, What's a Holman Moody?
    I've found out my original prop is a 14"dia. x 21 pitch. It's lost 1/4-3/8" diamete due to wear and multiple rebuilds. The prop guy said it was supposed to be cupped, but that it no longer was. He's going to try and take it back to original specs. Michigan wheel has superceded the prop several times.
    I have picture posted of the boat and outdrive. If anyone has info on either, please inform me. I hav not been able to find out much on the older Duracraft aluminum boats, the modern Duracraft company is not the original company.
    http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrow...elected=473141
    keep the good info coming.

mirvin
    Hey Sinkn, that sure looks like volvo penta construction. I see through hull exhaust? Sweet. So the exhaust port above the prop there must be blocked off on the inside to accomodate the through hull exhaust.
    Looks like it should be fun.

sinkn-feeln
    It's definatley a Volvo, and I hear they are very durable, but a little pricey on parts.
    The exhaust "Y" is blocked off inside the boat. The thru the transom exhaust was a interesting experience. The original manifolds, aluminum, were so thin from oxidation you could thump a hole in certain areas with your finger. I purchased another set on the internet, same problem just not as bad. There was no direct replacement system from anybody else. I could install a couple of different style manifolds, cast iron, and then reduce down to the small diameter thru the lower unit exhaust. The price would have been around $500-$600. I found these Edelbrock aluminum manifolds for $700 on an online auction. I figured they would be easy to adapt to the boat. Wrong. The motor sits far enough back that the manifolds terminated inside the transom. After a couple of weeks of brainstorming I came up with the solution. It cost about $60 dollars to create what you see, but it was pain.
    I think I'll take it on an all day run the last weekend of this month, if my prop is ready.
    After all I have learned on my first boat, I think before long I may be ready to tackle another one. I think it will be a little longer, and fiberglass, maybe on old Donzi.
    I appreciate the info, the interest, and the conversation.

SteveDavid
    Holman Moody was a Ford marinizer based out of Charlotte NC from the early 60's to the early to mid 70's. They built primarily high performance marine engines, made their own exhaust manifolds, etc. Their "slogan" was Competition Proven, with the C and P in red letters. Their name was on several NASCAR teams of the era, including the Wood Brothers #21. The only outdrive I recall them using was Volvo, beginning with the 200 series.
    Good luck with your boat !

Try Bronson Hill Propellers
    They have a nice stainless custom prop called the "Thrasher" for the 270, 280, 290 outdrives.
    Ask them about compatibility with your 250.
    I have owned a few of them and they work very nice with no prop burning that VP aluminum props usually suffer with.
    http://www.hillpropellers.com/hillpropellers_inc.html
    1350 E. Wilshire Avenue, Santa Ana, California 92705 U.S.A.
    (714) 953-5010 Fax (714) 953-4307

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12