Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sink hole

1stepcloser
    Does anyone here have any experience with the diagnosis and repair of sink holes?
    I had on open under the edge of my front patio during the rain, it looks pretty intimidating, seems to be getting bigger.
    I'm not sure what the heel to do with it, so I thought I would post this here and see if anyone has some insight or experience with this phenomenon.

Stupid Fast
    It is either a sewer or storm line that has broken or is leaking. To fix it just dig it up and repiar the pipe.
    It could also just be settling depending on how long ago any work int the area was done. If more than a year then I would doubt it is from settling though.
    EMC

Outnumbered
    Originally posted by 1stepcloser
    Does anyone here have any experience with the diagnosis and repair of sink holes?
    I had on open under the edge of my front patio during the rain, it looks pretty intimidating, seems to be getting bigger.
    I'm not sure what the heel to do with it, so I thought I would post this here and see if anyone has some insight or experience with this phenomenon.

How new is your house? If its within 10 years you need to get a hold of the builder ASAP. Generally there is a 10 year warranty on the structure of your home and foundation etc. Not sure if this would qualify but you need to look into it. I would get a soils engineer out if it grows too big. Your local Realtor or a general contractor should be able to refer you. A buddy of mine lives in Chino Hills and has recently had a spring come up under his 4,200 sqft house He is going round with the builder now because the house is about 7 years old. he bought it new and it never had a problem until now.
    OL

1stepcloser
    The house was built in '85, I moved in in '92. I know the builder has since gone out of business since a neighbor a few houses up had a similar issue about thirteen years ago. Engineers at that time told him it was a soil compaction problem due to earlier "fill" that was under the ground, he tried to get help form the builder, they were out of business.
    I am likely going to have to ante up for this, as it seems a bit more than digging it out and filling it back in.
    A friend of mine also suggested it is a broken sewer line, havent investigated that possibility yet....

Hotcrusader76
    You might want to try PMing HOSS...he's the expert on sink holes

spectratoad
    Originally posted by 1stepcloser
    A friend of mine also suggested it is a broken sewer line, havent investigated that possibility yet....

The smell might help determine that. Hope it is something simple.

HOSS
    Sounds like a firehose and 12 yrds of dirt will do the job. **** the broken pipe.

ROZ
    PM mandelon. I'm sure he has a guy who can take care of it..

dorC
    If the pipe is broke, you'll need to fix it. If it's just settlement, just fill the hole with your choice of material.

spectratoad
    Originally posted by dorC
    If the pipe is broke, you'll need to fix it. If it's just settlement, just fill the hole with your choice of material.
    Everyone meet at 1step's house with your ex's!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast