Thread: Outdrive side to side play

badscarab
    My 1996 bravo 1 outdrive has about 1-1/2 inches of side to side play in it. Ive been told that you need to drill 1 1/8" holes in the upper part of the side of the Gimbal ring and remove the gimbal height adjuster nut, then remove the swivel shaft and steering lever and replace them. I saw an ad in the May issue of Hot Boat that there is a new wrench available so you don't have to use a punch to remove the nut. Would appreciate any tips or advice from any one who has done this job. Thanks, Steve

Tinkerer
    Did you try to tighten the two nuts at the top of the gimbal ring to 50 FT LBS. This will usually solve most of the play problem.

badscarab
    No I didn't, but I will give that a try. Thanks

badscarab
    That cured the problem.Thanks for your help!

Tinkerer
    Make sure that You check those nuts at least yearly- If they get loose it causes damage to the gimbal ring that will eventually mean replacement time. And that is not a cheap fun job to do.

badscarab
    I will definately be keeping a close eye on it, because I sure don't want to do that repair. What was Mercruiser thinking when they designed that? I also have the Drew Marine "Sidewinders" to help stabilize the drive. Didn't realize it was loose till I pulled the drive for seasonal maintenance. Was shocked that those two bolts had loosened up like that. Doesn't move at all now.

Uplink
    Originally posted by Tinkerboater
    Make sure that You check those nuts at least yearly- If they get loose it causes damage to the gimbal ring that will eventually mean replacement time. And that is not a cheap fun job to do.
    I second that, I just found out mine has to be replaced. Maveric Marine quoted me at $2000! Don't let this happen to you.
    Retorque your gimal u-bolt regularly!

Rocky
    I have to replace my gimbel ring also with 5-6" of play. Not cheap at all. Was told to always check the torque on those two nuts. And with a cat it will do it again in time without external steering. Expesive lesson learned