Thread: Prop Question...

Salty Cracker
    I went to change props and the center section came out of the prop I was going to install. There were four plastic spacers about 4" long each that were in the box and I'm assuming they are supposed to go in between the center section and the prop.
    BTW....Both props are mercury bravo1 4 blades.

rivercrazy
    Hey Salty. Sounds like you have a plastic hub in your Merc Prop. I also run that set up. But the plastic hub piece is usually a one peice assembly. If it came out in 4 peices it might just be done and you need a new one.
    There should only be the following:
    * Large brass washer that goes on the prop shaft first
    * The plastic hub that goes into the prop.
    * The brass piece that inserts into the front of the prop and into the plastic hub.
    * The washer that has lock tabs
    * Prop nut.

Essex502
    I was told when I bought my last prop that the hp you guys are running you should be using the Merc solid hub...that's what was sold to me with the Bravo 1 - 4 blade I bought a couple of months ago. I have the plastic hub in my Mirage 3 blade and the solid hub in the Bravo 1.

rivercrazy
    I've been running a plastic hub on my 496HO and a 4 blade without any issues so far. But I wonder how long a plastic hub would last on an HP500....
    I'd say just change the hub every oil change and carry a spare and you should be OK....

Salty Cracker
    I believe that it is a solid hub. If by hub you mean the piece that fits in the prop and on to the grooves on the prop shaft, on mine it is metal...
    And I have no washer with the tabs on this prop...

rivercrazy
    I thought the HP might be too much power for the plastic hub! Don't know that much about the solid hubs......

Chadzilla4ever
    you do have a solid hub. The plastic pieces are used to center the hub in the prop