Thread: 20 hrs on rebuilt 12jg, thrust bearing seized and shaft maybe broke.

20 hrs on rebuilt 12jg, thrust bearing seized and shaft maybe broke.

I'm in trouble, My 20 hours old rebuilt Berkeley 12jg sounds like it seized a trust bearing and maybe broke the shaft. I'm worried mostly about if the bearing spun and ruined the housing. I was going along at a good clip then the engine started to bog down, I didn't hear any squealing at all, 2 seconds later something let go and the engine was free spinning, no load, in the water, at least is seems like its spinning free. I can see the shaft turning between the front bearing section. Did that seized thrust bearing screw up the housing? I'm going to take it to the marine shop that installed it and see whats up, but I think I can pull the pump myself and do some of the work....there is a good amount of a fine powdery greasy substance coming out and piled up under the the very front housing with the zirk fitting. I recently learned about the pump a lot more as I have been doing research on the pump recently. I sure should have done this when I first got it 3 years ago, being new to boating. I was some kind of dumb not to. Lesson learned. I hope this doesn't mean a new housing. If it does then I'm afraid my goose is cooked,,,, Oh boy....

I can see the shaft turning between the sections of the casing where the shaft is visible. Something was hot tho because when I shut if off there was a little smoke coming from the bearing area and I could smell it. Taking it to marine shop Tuesday.
    Last edited by rick1964; 10-20-2013 at 08:53 PM.