Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: outboards on an f29

TOBTEK
    Originally posted by racer
    Remember the 4 strokes in moto cross are nearly twice the cc as a 2 stroke in the same class. Both engines have there place and we all have our preferences.
    AND the ONLY reason four stroke technology is being pushed by the manufactures is because of the "TREE-HUGGERS"! A 250cc four stroke MX bike WILL be spanked by the same displacment two stroke!!!! NO TWO WAYS ABOUT IT...PERIOD.
    Now, im not sure what the dealio was with your 02 300x less. BUT I have heard that the newer more up to date 03's like mine (hehehehehe ..just playin) will rev a little more and have a few upgrades.....JUST what ive heard. the only problem I have had was that the linkage for the choke came loose one time, and I fill as though thats my falt for not checking it before getting it wet. I for one am VERY impressed with our little stocker clamp-on boat. will do almost 90 with tons of stereo,gas, people, ect with the 26 modified bravo, or throw there butts out slap a 30 ET on it and do a tick over 90.....BUT that being said, I would like to have a 525merc in a new 26.....never happy I guess

HavasuDreamin'
    Personally, I think the 29' is too big for the O/B's. I would run a pair of stock 496 Mag HO motors on that big of a boat. Now if you were talking 26' or less, I would run the twin 300x Merc's in a heartbeat.
    Good Luck.

Forkin' Crazy
    Originally posted by HavasuDreamin'
    Personally, I think the 29' is too big for the O/B's.
    Surely not. If two isn't enought, then put three on it!

HavasuDreamin'
    And the swim step to get in and out of the boat with fits where?

sorry dog
    ...and how are you gonna teak surf?

Tom Brown
    Originally posted by HavasuDreamin'
    And the swim step to get in and out of the boat with fits where?
    On the anti-cavitation plates of the engines.

HavasuDreamin'
    Maybe bolt it to the side of the hull..... at the water line of course!:wink:

Skaterfast
    So,the F29 with twin 496's against another F29 with twin 300's.
    I'd say the twin 496's will be 4mph faster.Many problems though.The first thing is,it ought to be 14mph faster with over 200 more hp.Along with that 4mph you will burn 4 gallons more,seat 4 less people,and have $4k in motor repairs at the end of your 4th season.
    I love debating this topic,it's so easy.

HavasuDreamin'
    Originally posted by Skaterfast
    I'd say the twin 496's will be 4mph faster. The first thing is,it ought to be 14mph faster with over 200 more hp. Along with that 4mph you will burn 4 gallons more, seat 4 less people, and have $4k in motor repairs at the end of your 4th season.
    I love debating this topic,it's so easy.
    Your logic is flawed. Boatmaster claims the boat will run about 100-102 mph with twin 300X motors. The guys in cats n tunnels claim it will run 110 mph with twin 496 HO's. There is a difference of 8-10 mph if all parties are correct.
    Yes, you will burn more fuel, but if you can afford a $200K boat, then a little more fuel won't hurt you.
    Seat 4 less people? So in the outboard version do you put two bench seats across the back? Correct me if I am wrong, but the O/B version just leaves more leg room in the cockpit.
    $4K worth of repairs at the end of your 4th season? Justification???? Where did that come from? What if the dude only puts 25 hours on the rig each year?
    I do believe the IMHO, the 29' boat is better set up with I/O power.

Skaterfast
    I should have started my comments out with "generaly speaking".
    Of course the motors will last longer if only 25 hours are burned per year.That only means the outboard will last longer with the same hours burned.
    And ya why not put in more seating.Look at all the big 30 foot and over boats,it seems like the bigger the boat the smaller the cockpit.Again generaly speaking there is more room in the outboard version.
    You're probably right on the 8 mph faster.But,I think it's still a shame to have over (250hp?) more and get only 8.
    So yes there is more room.Yes there is more gas burned and yes there is more $ spent on motors.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast