Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hydraulic steering for a jet?

wet77
    Does anyone make Hydraulic steering for a jet?
    A guy at work just got a 2005 Stratus bass boat and he has a setup for the outboard that you just add fluid at the steering column and there is no pump at all.
    Is there a jet boat application for this?
    Or is the best way the dual cable way?
    Just wondering because I noticed last season my cable was getting a little stiff :cry:

572Daytona
    In my opinion there's no need for Hydro steering on a jet since there's no steering torque to overcome as there is with a prop. If it is hard to turn the wheel, it's definitely time to replace the cable.

Blown Away
    Does anyone make Hydraulic steering for a jet?
    A guy at work just got a 2005 Stratus bass boat and he has a setup for the outboard that you just add fluid at the steering column and there is no pump at all.
    Is there a jet boat application for this?
    Or is the best way the dual cable way?
    Just wondering because I noticed last season my cable was getting a little stiff :cry:
    They use them on the outboards two help turn those big moter plus deal with prop torque, its just time for a new cable.

Jim Brock
    i have a customer who put hydrolic steering on his jet boat, he almost crashed it the first and only time out, couldn't get it to go striaght, i told him what it would do but he wanted to try it, I wouldn't install it, he did and took it right off.

LVjetboy
    Single cable steering gets stiff from water corrosion. Even with a grease joint. Time to replace yes. But why not a better way, a system that reduces or eliminates the corrosion problem?
    jer

wet77
    i have a customer who put hydrolic steering on his jet boat, he almost crashed it the first and only time out, couldn't get it to go striaght, i told him what it would do but he wanted to try it, I wouldn't install it, he did and took it right off.
    Good to know :crossx:
    So what is the best. or should I say longest lasting steering cable out there?
    Only want to do it once because it looks like a real pain in the a$$ to get out :cry:

LVjetboy
    I replaced mine with the grease fitting system. Worked for years but eventually corroded and stiff just like the first so I'll have to replace once again. Yes single cable steering is a pain to replace. And I think your first post about hydraulics was good, worth more opinions.
    Maybe still unanswered.
    jer

SoCal Power
    I fabbed this setup for a friend of mine's CP. He loves it. I was a little nervous about the helm displacement vs. cylinder volume being a little quick (1.1 revs lock to lock) but, it worked out great.
    The system will creep over time but it is so gradual that the only way to notice is that the wheel will not remain centered. This can be an issue if you rely on the wheel being in a certain position (verifying the the nozzle is straight) when you stab it out of the hole. The fix is to fab a nozzle angle indicator that is visible at the helm. (I'm working on it).
    System parts: approx. $1200.00 - 1500.00
    Labor: do it yourself or find a decent fabricator
    Jim, I'm curious what your customer did to arrive a such a dangerous install. Sounds like the system was not bled properly. db
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...417Transom.jpg

wet77
    Solcal Power that was exactly what I was talking about, glad too see someone is trying it
    Is the steering smooth?
    there is no power steering pump right?

inwo
    I've been thinking about this too! Why two cylinders?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast