Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why is Ca going Broke?

Kachina26
    Because the voter's will pass ANY bond measure put under their nose!!! And I don't mean prop 57, I reluctantly agree with that one, but 55??????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Come on people, you can't buy groceries on a credit card! It's just not smart! I need some stuff around the house too, but if it's not in the budget I don't get it!

Essex502
    The peeps that voted for Prop 55 (while good intentioned) don't understand we just can't afford it at this time! When we're flush with dough - it's another matter. But, right now, we don't have the moolah to pay for it.

Kachina26
    57 with the exception of 4 billion is just a refi of old debt, and while I would like to have them make the cuts necessary to bring things into order, it won't happen. The only way to fix things in their mind is to raise taxes. I wish I could go tell my boss that I overspent and now require a 15% increase in pay and he has no choice in the matter, but it don't work that way in the real world.

HighRoller
    What, you expected something rational from the government? That would mean they would have to live within their means, spend less than they take in, and cut down on spending. YEAH, like that will happen in our lifetimes. It's easier to borrow your way out of debt, right?

My Man's Sportin' Wood
    I think it was someone on this board (a very smart person--not me!) who said
    California is not in a budget crisis because of low taxes.
    I don't know where it's going, since they keep robbing from the schools and transportation to pay for whatever it is. They know those are two issues we will always vote for increases in, so we dummies vote for them under the agreement that the money won't be used for anything else, then the legislature throws in the loophole "except for emergenicies" Hell! it's always an emergency in this state!http://home.mchsi.com/~angieknoll/soapbox.gif

California is in a budget crisis simply because the stae legislature, largely democrats spend more than the treasury takes in. however the biggest reasons for the state habitually running in the red is two fold. In years past the dems in Sacramento have done away with the govenors ability to make md year adjustments/cuts to the budget with out going back to the legislature for approval in those cuts. govenors like Dukemajian had the ability to amend the states expemses down and keep the budget balanced with out any hassels from the assembly or senate. It was called the govenors mid year budget line item veto.
    The law was eliminated by the dems in 1991 and the budget has been ****ed up ever since. also this state use to have a balanced budget law that prevented the govenor and or the state legislature from passing budgets that were not balanced..........bingo you got it! Along with Willie the bastard Brown the dems in Sacramento changed the law and allowed deficit budgeting to be the normal way of doing business.
    Add this to the fact that the Burtons and Herb Wessons of the state legislature believe that you owe your paycheck to them and that every business here in the state is in business to just fund welfare and more of it to people like illegal aliens ....and the state is so far down the rat hole I don't think even Arnolds 57 and 58 could help.
    I honestly beleive that the Republicans shot themselves themselves in the foot by supporting with 25 million dollars arnolds ballot measures and they should have by proposition tried to get the mid year veto law and the balanced budget act passed instead of a huge bod to refinance the existing debt.
    why wouldn't the Republicans just present to the people a balanced bufget initiative preventing the state legislature from spending more than the state takes in...PERIOD....WOULDN'T THAT END FUTURE DEFICITS?
    MAYBE BEACUSE THERE IS SOMETHING GOING ON MORE SINISTER THAN MEETS THE EYE.
    Maybe the Republicans really don't want balanced budgets? Ya think? **** Sacramento and Arnold to if he comes to us again like he did this election with the message of "lets borrower our way into solvency!" Ya can you and I do that? Hell now and niether can the state!
    Look I am a die hard conservative and i looked at we had to vote on and I feel betrayed by the govenor...he better have more to offer than lets just borrower money to solve our problems or Next year i say **** him and lets recall him and get a real Republican!

Jungle Boy
    Originally posted by Kachina26
    Because the voter's will pass ANY bond measure put under their nose!!! And I don't mean prop 57, I reluctantly agree with that one, but 55??????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Come on people, you can't buy groceries on a credit card! It's just not smart! I need some stuff around the house too, but if it's not in the budget I don't get it!
    Many years ago up here in Alberta, they started allowing credit cards in liquer stores and food stores. At first I thought that it would be a terrible thing. But now, I have very little reason to carry cash. Between debit cards and 2 credit cards, I don't need cash. I pay ALL the bills each month and I love being able to hit the beer store and buy 300 bucks worth of booze and not have to whip out cash to do it. Same goes for some BBQ goods on the way to the river or a buddies house. Now granted, I'm sure that it's going to get some dead beats in trouble but only until they get their cards pulled.

Essex502
    BUSTI - Prop. 57 merely restructured the debt not new debt, per se. This is similar to a property owner getting a home equity load to pay off their credit cards. Prop. 58 requires a balanced budget. The analogy to Prop 58 is tearing up those credit cards.
    The Republics don't have a majority in the CA legislature - the Democrats do. When we tossed our Grey (sp) Davis we were still left with a Democratic majority - for the time being.
    Proposition 58 for the Uninformed (http://www.easyvoter.org/california/...ry/prop58.html)

Essex,
    The Wallstreet journal reported that the 14 billion dollars that this loan is covering is slated to roll over 3 billion to next years budget. whats up with that? Look I support the govenor and I firmly believe that is better to give the guy what he asks for and eliminate his reasons for having excuses two years from now if we are still in the same place we are today. We will be by the way.
    All i am saying is that while the Republicans still have momentum and Arnold is still on a honey moon with the electorate i think 57 and 58 fall way short of what they really should have been fighting for...which is real budgeting reform to handcuff those taz and spend deficit loving demorats in Sacramento.
    Lets just make deficit spending illegal, hold budgeting to zero growth for one year and allow this govenor to amend the expenses mid year and the budget crisis would be over.
    Now maybe the 3 billion the WSJ said was to be a roll over to next years budget is a part of funding the car tax reduction I dont know but all I am saying that will be very shocked if this govenor despite these ballot measures is able to reduce the deficit at all in the next 24 months if he ask for greater tools to restrict expenses...thats all. and if falls into the budgeting bog that IS business as usual then he will fail. And after all he asked for the job and said he could get the job done. So why doesn't he go and strangle the legislature and go rite around them with aggressive proposotion creation that would give him the teeth he needs to bite thses fockers while he still has the muscle?

Next year i heard Bill Jones say we are only 4 billion away from breaking even! Shit tell arnold to get tough go to the people and he could balance the budget in one year! the message is simple if the state made it through 2004 with this budget then why cant we make it through 2005 with same amount of money?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast