Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: What were they thinking?

UBFJ #454
    Understood ...

American Turbine Man
    I wouldn’t use a low profile intake, don’t they have an increased angle? I would set the Dominator intake in as close to zero degrees as possible. The reason: the hydro hull has the natural tendencies to lift the tail: the low profile intake will try to push the tail up and the stern down: also I think the increased angle might drag the steering. To hold the stern I would run a deep shoe. Since it is a hydro I don’t think shut-down would as big a problem as with a v-hull.
    ATM

Jet Hydro
    American Turbine Man Thanks for the info. You are close to what I was thinking. I was thinking of setting it at or around 2 degrees? When I tried to use a straight cut shoe to load the pump it would stand the boat on the nose on shut down. I can now see why with the angle they had the intake set at. It looks like they were trying to force the water in the intake with out using a shoe. This boat never had a shoe until we installed one. Did they have shoes back in the late 70`s?
    The steering is on the top so that not a problem. I plan to take the droop snoot off and go back to the straight snoot so I don't know if the old intake would work as good as the low profile?
    These are all things that I plan to run be Jeff and Ervin.
    Keep the Ideas coming, I need all I can get.

American Turbine Man
    We were doing shoe'd intakes in 1978, I can't remember who was the first one to install one.
    ATM

HBjet
    Steve, I found Jeff's number...
    (714) 934-1756 (days)
    HBjet

Duane HTP
    ATJ's idea makes good sense. Hey Jet hydro, how about I drive up there for dinner, (lunch for anyone who's not from Kansas), today and take a look at it with you , since you have it upside down? Man, I love that Mexican Smorgass Board you guys have up there. Let me know if that's Okay by 10:am if you can.

Jet Hydro
    Works for me Duane.

Jet Hydro
    ATM, this boat is a 78 so maybe that`s the thinking Hondo used on the intake angle?
    HBjet, Thanks for the number.

Jet Hydro
    Thanks to Duane and a few others I have now made up my mind on what needs to be done and How I`m going to do it.
    Duane, I`m going to put the back of the intake opening right at the transit. Going to cut the transit and pull the intake out so the last 2 holes are sticking out on the intake where it mounts to the bottom. So in other words the last 2 holes wont be used to hold it to the bottom. It`s a long way`s out but I want the back lip of the intake at the transit.
    I`m going to build a hole new pod with the idea`s I have collected today.
    The saw`s will start tonight

bp
    steve, do you have data collection on that boat? just wondering..

Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast