Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Blower Thermodynamics

Dustin, With all due respect please re-read my post. With no outside influence [rotor design, brand, age, size of outlet, ect,] The mere act of compressing the air will raise air temp 7 degF for every pound of compresson. No other factor considered including the adiabatic and volumeteric efficency. Thats all I was trying to point out because thats what I thought "78Elim" was asking.

hulshot
    i am going to just put on a 14-71 and forget it. It will make more power by running it slower and not having such a hot intake charge.

bigq
    Fiat48:
    Nstigator74:
    I'm not trying to confuse anyone, but does running methanol keep you charge temps cooler? Yup. And 15% more horsepower by pouring it in the tank and up to 30% more horsepower if the engine is "optmized" for alcohol. wink
    K.I.S.S. method:
    An engine is an air pump
    A blower is an air pump
    There's 14.7 PSI atmospheric pressure available at 0 elevation (sea level) and 60 degree's temperature.
    Basically every time you put in 14.7 lbs of boost you double the horespower compared to sea level. (less the power required to drive the blower).
    Bump the blower overdrive till you feel no real gain in performance. Blowers vary a bunch.
    Running the engine fat is not the way to cool: creates extreme exhaust temperature and dilutes your engine oil. My 2 cents (overpriced). 2 questions, how does the alcohol create a cooler charge and how does it mix with the gas? Will it burn more fuel because of the alcohol?
    OK that was three questions.

bigq

Running the engine fat is not the way to cool: creates extreme exhaust temperature and dilutes your engine oil. My 2 cents (overpriced).

Diluting the oil, that would be just a tad to "fat".
    [ January 15, 2003, 11:50 PM: Message edited by: bigq ]

Fiat48
    Alcohol creates a much cooler charge. It really doesn't mix well with gas. I was referring to straight alcohol. You burn about 2.2 times more alcohol for a burnable mixture than gasoline so you do burn a lot more fuel.
    But it smells better and made in America.

Snowboat
    Dustin: I know what you do for a living, but I don't understand. If my boost guage read 14psi and it was 100 degrees out that day, then my intake charge is at 400 to 450 degrees? Quote "Q58, at 15lbs of boost with a roots, running gasoline through the supercharger, depending on brand, age, rotor design, would be much closer to 300-350 above ambient temp." End quote. A screw compressor would be somewhere near 120-140 above ambient as well as a centrifugal. Isn't that above the flashpoint for gasoline?

Snowboat
    Dustin: I know what you do for a living, but I don't understand. If my boost guage read 14psi and it was 100 degrees out that day, then my intake charge is at 400 to 450 degrees? Quote "Q58, at 15lbs of boost with a roots, running gasoline through the supercharger, depending on brand, age, rotor design, would be much closer to 300-350 above ambient temp." End quote. Isn't that above the flashpoint for gasoline?
    [ January 16, 2003, 09:13 AM: Message edited by: Snowboat ]

bigq
    Fiat48:
    Alcohol creates a much cooler charge. It really doesn't mix well with gas. I was referring to straight alcohol. You burn about 2.2 times more alcohol for a burnable mixture than gasoline so you do burn a lot more fuel.
    But it smells better and made in America. Ok that clears it up. I didn't think you could mix it. I had a friend that ran a 2 stroke ATC on straight alcohol, hauled ass. Anyway, I don't know much about it except it can create a lot of HP and no emissions. I am always woundering why we don't run all the cars on this and forgo using the oil based gas.

78Eliminator
    Infomaniac:
    Don't just take my word for it. Wait for all the other replies. You run on alcohol, right? Do you just have the small racing pill for a tank or do you have the 15 gallon stainless tanks stuffed in the sponsons? What has to change in your carbs and motor to run alcohol?

Jordy
    I dont know if it would work on a blower application, but theoretically it should follow the same principles as a turbo motor, but you could have the motor run gas and then set up a boost enrichment system that trickles alcohol into the motor to cool the charge when you're getting after it. I suppose it would have to be set up a bit different on a blower as you're seemingly always producing boost versus a turbo motor that can run without the boost in the case of just cruising. Any thoughts???

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast