Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Turbo installation project

Unchained
    [img]http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Gearhead_Garage/Motors_and_Drives/Turboinstallation5.JPG[/img]
    Had to brush up on my fabrication skills for this project.

Infomaniac
    I bet you will be able to wash that bridge with that one !!!! YEA BABY YEA

Clown
    Mark that is really starting to look like something.
    Hope I have as much luck!
    Can't wait till I get the turbos from tom.

JetBoatRich
    Can't wait see the finished product and the numbers yoy get.

squirtboat
    What kind of turbos are you using?

Unchained
    The tag on the turbos says Garrett TV7701.
    They are only good for an EFI system as they have no vaccuum seal that would be needed for a draw through setup.
    Here's a pic of the tacked up headers with some jigs I made up so I can duplicate later.
    I had to appoint a vicious guard beast to watch over the new parts.
    [img]http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Gearhead_Garage/Motors_and_Drives/Turboinstallation6.JPG[/img]

HeavyHitter
    Looks great. Those TV77 will be good for a ton of boost. What kind of waste gates are you going to put on? You also may want to get some stainless sheilds made to keep from boiling the fuel and burning the fiberglass. The headers will be glowing red as soon as you hit boost. Very clean looking. If you're going EFI get a box that can drive 16 injectors. Hilborn stopped making the 120 lb/hrs so 95's the biggest out there.

Unchained
    HeavyHitter, I am going with a Haltech EFI system. I met this local racing legend guy Turbo Tom Earhart while boating this summer who is a fuel injection engineer at Bosch. He is a distributor for Haltech. He recommended going with 148lb/hr injectors for gas or 180lb/hr for alcohol. I guess he has a source for them. I will be using an intercooler and one 80mm throttle body. Tom says that setup will get me 1500 hp which is what he dyno's with the same setup on his 572ci Arias engine. That should be about 600 hp more than I got with the blower. Tom gave me some dyno torque figures that were similar to what you relayed in the other thread. Like 1000 ft lbs at 3000 rpm. What a stump puller !
    He said that with the Haltech system his engine will idle smoothly at 600 rpm even with the long duration cam that he runs. Tom wants me to mount the wastegates right on the exhaust housing. He likes to remove the sandwich plate from the wastegate and have the wastegate valve seal right on a flat surface machined on the exhaust housing. I know the headers will run red hot so thats why I went with stainless tubing. I don't know why they would boil the gas though. It's an open engine compartment. Thanks for the input.

Nubbs
    Unchained,
    Something to consider, you may want to support those turbos with something other than the headers. That's a lot of weight hanging out there. Add in the red hot primary tubes and some bouncing from the boat and you may run into some problems. I'd hate to see your setup damaged after running it a few times.

Unchained
    Nubbs, I figured on a support down to the block or the head from the turbo exhaust flange. Those turbos are quite heavy. However I think that I will be reducing the overall weight with the turbos as compared to the blower. My new headers will weigh less than the previous Bassetts also.

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast