Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Turbo installation project

Unchained
    Ron, Thanks for the tech info {info}.
    Dave, I still need to get wastegates. Tom has a specific spot where he likes to have them mounted where they work best. Too bad Tom didn't get back with you but I think there were some temporary medical concerns. The T04s should work real good. Tom says that the vaccuum seal is a tiny drag that makes them spool up a little slower. I always ran a draw through setup before and never noticed any lag.

superdave013
    Unchained:
    Ron, Thanks for the tech info {info}.
    Dave, I still need to get wastegates. Tom has a specific spot where he likes to have them mounted where they work best. Too bad Tom didn't get back with you but I think there were some temporary medical concerns. The T04s should work real good. Tom says that the vaccuum seal is a tiny drag that makes them spool up a little slower. I always ran a draw through setup before and never noticed any lag.Well I'm kinda glad he didn't. I got brand new ones for less then he quoted those re-built ones. Anyway the guy I went through said the same thing about the seals. It's not a dragster so I'm not sweating it. I'll catch 'em on the second lap!

schiada96
    Mine do not take too long to go, Sd you will be
    fast enough.

schiada96
    Unchained how is the project coming along?

Unchained
    QUOTE]Originally posted by schiada96:
    Unchained how is the project coming along?[/QUOTE]
    I'm waiting for more parts to come. I found a source for two real nice CNC machined 63mm throttle bodies from a guy in the Chicago area and for the last two weeks it's been. " I'll send those out today" Their still not here.
    After I get the throttle bodies mounted on the sides of the intercooler cover then I can make the aluminum tubes from the compressors to the throttle bodies. Past that I need to,
    Buy wastegates and mount them on the turbine housings.
    Machine spots for the injector bungs into the intake manifold and weld them in.
    [img]http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Gearhead_Garage/Motors_and_Drives/Turboinstallation9.JPG[/img]

schiada96
    Thats going to be cool. It looks like you have enough room for injectors and rails under your intercooler.
    I got a set of split top cmi's from Super Dave. I've got a tall deck block and some dart heads. I'm going to build a new system for my boat, It's going to take awhile.

Unchained
    If anyone else is interested in doing a project like this I can supply a set of 2" stainless steel turbo headers like the ones in the picture for $ 1000. a set. All TIG welded.
    [img]http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Gearhead_Garage/Motors_and_Drives/turboclearanceinlibertor.JPG[/img]
    They will go on a jet or Vdrive application.
    Single wall construction so they would only be for an open engine compartment.
    mark55@direcway.com

DUCKY
    Unchained:
    I took the band clamp off the turbo and removed the center section to look in the turbine housing.
    The entire exhaust flow from four cylinders of the engine funnel down until it hits the turbine wheel from a 1/2” wide slot that is about 3 1/2” diameter x 360 degrees around the turbine wheel. It’s amazing that something so small can drive the compressor wheel and be capable of making 50 lbs of pressure. [img]http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Gearhead_Garage/Motors_and_Drives/Turbine_Housing.JPG[/img]
    The turbine wheel is 3 1/2” diameter.
    [img]http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Gearhead_Garage/Motors_and_Drives/Exhaust_turbine_impeller.JPG[/img]
    So it takes two 3 1/2 “ diameter turbine wheels to make more pressure than you can get with a roots blower with rotors that are 15” + long. Hmm, makes you think.Difference is that the rotors in a blower spin between 5 and 10k rpm depending on pulleys, and those little turbine wheels spin about 60-100k !!!

Unchained
    I have the intercooler about done now, here's a picture showing how the waterlines run through the cover. I used 1/4" threaded rod bent into a U shape with rubber hose slid over it to attach the core down to the base.

We machined the holes in the intake manifold for the injector nozzles and I made mounts for the wastegates on the turbine housings.

Now I'm fitting up the 3" OD aluminum tubing that connects the compressors to the throttle bodies.
    Next I'll need to remove the oil pan to weld in a couple fittings for the turbo oil return lines.
    [ March 31, 2003, 05:46 PM: Message edited by: Unchained ]

Infomaniac
    That is awasome man. I wish I had the time, money and space to do that. The making tape should hold for a while LOL.
    I have an aircraft turbo that I was considering putting on e-bay. It is for a 540 Lycoming. What a beast.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast