Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Co Poisoning in the channel

Keith E. Sayre
    If you close down the channel, copper canyon, sandbar and eventually Steamboat, people won't come here anymore.
    If noone comes to Havasu, we'll be bankrupt tonight. Not
    tommorrow, not next week, but tonight--early!
    Unfortunately, we have elderly folks here in town who hate
    the boaters that come on weekends. These kind old people
    are probably the ones voting to shut down the channel. They're
    the same kind folks that recently voted NO to extra funding for
    our kids in the school system so that we could have classes with less than 35 kids in them, and voted to build the aquatic
    center rather than buy our kids school buses, and the same ones who are now complaining about the boat noise.
    We need to figure up a solution to the channel CO problem
    or else we'll lose it completely.
    Keith Sayre
    Conquest Boats
    Lake Havasu City

Laveyman
    You post crack me up Keith. These old coots cannot hear a fire engine's siren when it is directly behind them on Hwy 95, but they're bitching about boat noise?!?!?!!! I wish Wilbur and Maude would go back to Alberta, Canada and leave these decisions to those that live there full-time. Friggin snowbirds.

RiverKitty
    Originally posted by Keith E. Sayre
    We need to figure up a solution to the channel CO problem
    or else we'll lose it completely.
    Ok, so what can we do? How can we be proactive as a community??? Is there someway to let our voices be heard??? Any ideas??? Anybody???

Ziggy
    Apparently the biggest problem seems to be dispursing the poluted air because the largest levels of CO occur when there is very little wind and hot temps. The addition of the new condo/stores along the channal added to the problem.
    I suggested over a year ago that they either install some sort of wind producing fans and/or that the LE use fan boats while patroling. These were early on suggestions I voiced WELL before the issue was escalated.
    Limiting the number of boats on this lake would be ignorant. There'd be a good chance that 50% of the allowed boats would end up in the channal anyhow so that, IMO, would not do any good and piss off a whole lot of other boaters that spent time and money to be there. Its not that small of a lake. Limiting the number of boats in the channal might be of benefit, or limiting boat parking to one shore(upwind side) of the channal....but even this seems silly considering the wonderful improvements they've made for us to tie up to.
    The city officials would be smart to rethink the closing of the other "hotspots" where adequate ventilation is prevelant and add a few patrols to monitor what was previously considered unruley. I'm sure the old blue hairs would rather see that the channal was less provocative and this behavior be relegated back to the sandbar or away from the shorelines in general.
    I once was golfing on the island with a couple old coots from Canada when a boat on the lake went by WOT--one of the old guys says something to the effect of wasting money, blah, blah, blah.....I asked him why he belittled a sport he knows nothing of.......he only could say it seemed like non-sense........this is their mentality and many are the visiting people voting on what our summertime activities should be while they're grinding away on their farms---WE can't let them guide OUR boating future.
    It just baffles me to no extend how little common sense is used to determine/diagnose problems of this nature, there are solutions if they'd actually think like a human rather than a brain dead "yessir, yesmaam" society. Not only do lawsuits create frivilous financial burdens on cities but it narrows the humans thinking process.
    My $2.02 worth of rant. )

Jungle Boy
    Call me crazy, but looking at that photo with the boats jammed in there and the blue fog, I can't say that it would be very fun hanging out there. Not much of a weekend in the fresh air and beauty of Havasu.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123