Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Harmonic Balancer won't "pop off"

C-2
    We have the correct puller on the thing, but we can’t get it to “pop off” using a large pry bar, impact wrench, and/or after heating it.
    Any ideas or suggestions?
    Thanks in advance.
    95 454 Mag

Infomaniac
    The center bolt is out?
    Sorry I could not resist.
    Put a lot of tension on it with the puller. Smack the puller bolt with a hammer. Protect the crank threads.

Snowboat
    If you are rebuilding the whole engine, you can disassemble and leave the cover and dampner on the crank. Going on the assumption that you are not worried about the seal or too many pretty parts nearby, and that you want to save the crank but not the dampner..............Start over with the puller tight and everything cool. Use oxy acetylene (not a butane torch) with a small heating tip or smallest cutting tip. Heat a red to white hot narrow line above the key. Do it really fast so you don't heat and swell the crank. Don't try to warm the whole hub. Should come off if you are using an impact on the pusher bolt. If you're trying to leave the crank in the engine, rig it all up cold, put pressure on it, heat the whole hub from the outside in, as fast as possible with a rosebud or large cutting tip, without heating the crank. Tighten the pusher bolt with an impact, strike the end of the bolt with a decent sized hammer. Should come off and the dampner will be junk.

C-2
    Thanks for the responses.
    We were thread locked, bent bolt on the puller. Used a bigger one and bam, off it came!

Craig
    Congrats!!!!!

Fiat48
    I'll just throw this in here, but we had a blower hub that siezed on the crank so badly, we broke even a snap on puller (and using heat) and finally had to cut the hub off. From that day forward, we use anti sieze when installing a hub/balancer. That was $150 hub we cut off, yet we had it off an on many times before with no problem.
    And I anti sieze my prop and prop nut also. I don't know if it does me any good, but it makes me feel better.

BGMAN203
    I do the same thing with my prop and prop nut. Not sure if it makes a defference. But it has never even thought of getting stuck.

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
    I used to work for an oil tool company that built blow out preventers. these things sat on the ocean floor for years at a time. They religiously used anti-sieze on everything and guess what.......even after being on the ocean floor for years they would come apart. You could still see the anti-sieze copper on the threads. I am a believer in the stuff, especially if you are dealing with stainless or marine conditions.
    Omega

rrrr
    Only problem with the stuff- I always plan on putting just a dab on the threads, next thing ya know the shit is everywhere. On the back of my knees, on all the tools, even on the kitchen counter.
    That stuff is harder to get rid of than your ****tard brother in law that thinks you run a tool loaning service.

A buddy of mine gave me a can of the oilfield version, OBJ is right about it being the shit.

C-2
    Originally posted by rrrr
    That stuff is harder to get rid of than your ****tard brother in law that thinks you run a tool loaning service.

That's pretty funny!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast