Thread: ~2" shorties on 28 TD Daytona~

Harper220
    I recently added 2" IMCO shorties to my 28 TD Daytona which has 496 ho's and no boxes. Originally the boat came with 30p Bravos which sometimes were a little work to get on plane with heavy loads. Bravos ran 92 at wot all conditions right and 3500 rpm = 58-60mph and 4000 rpm = 70mph. I now run 29p Hydro p5x's before the imco's and boat planed out with no effort and 3500 rpm's = 63-64mph, but lost a few mph on top end. I haven't ran the boat yet with the 29 p5x's and shorties, so has anyone else made similar mods and what were your results? What should I expect? Still waiting on weather to get nice enough to test.

Turbojack
    Have friend that did that last year. His boat is a bowrider. Did not gain any speed. He did not have thru hull water pickups so had to add those also. If he had to do all over again he just would have saved the money and upgraded HP in the motors.
    There was an article in either Hot Boat or Power Boat about 2 or 3 years ago were they tested two 28's with different HP and both gained speed with the lowers.

Havasu47
    We have found that there is more speed gained when installing shorties on the low deck 28. Usually... the tall deck is fairly close to optimum drive height from Eliminator as they have more room to mount the engine higher.

Harper220
    We have found that there is more speed gained when installing shorties on the low deck 28. Usually... the tall deck is fairly close to optimum drive height from Eliminator as they have more room to mount the engine higher.
    Of course I've heard they mount the 28 td's all over the place some higher and some lower. All in all my x-dim (prop shaft) is now 1" above bottom. In your opinion, have I gone too high? If so, what will happen?

cjordan
    Eliminator's riggers told me that they like them 1-2" MAX above bottom of sponson. They typically put them in ~even at the factory for "all around" use, ease of planing with 4 blade, etc. When they are going for "the big number" they recommend 2" above....FYI, 4 blades are usually faster than 5....IF you can get on plane.
    I think you are going to be right where you want to be....If you are too high your slip goes up and you don't go any faster. If your slip goes up AND you are faster then its still a win for the short lowers. Interested to see how yours work out.