Thread: Marine grade plywood???

brianwhiteboy
    anybody know where to get some on the westside of L.A.? How much does that stuff cost for a sheet?

moneysucker
    I think Bar lumber carries it in long beach Last time I checked, it was just under 50.00 a sheet That was before the price of plywood doubled. A phone call will tell. I use regular plywood and resin the hell out of it. None of my interiors that I have built have rotted out. The upholstry will go before the wood and at that point might as well rebuild the seats too.

Slick
    When comparing prices, make sure they tell you how many ply it is. I used 9 ply for my floor and 7 ply for my rear seat base/sub box. Given the fact of what it was used for and the overall construction, I probably would not use it again. I'd just go with a good sheet of ply with as few nots, voids, etc. and finish the same as marine. I don't think I'd spend the extra cabbage if I had to do it again. I definitely wouldn't use it for seat bases.
    Just remember, the best defense against rot is drying your boat after every use before slapping the cover on.

Vicjet
    Idid the same thing moneysucker did. I bought regular plywood and resin the daylights ouy of it and its worked great. Its been two seasons and the wood looks like the day I installed it. I actually think it holds up better than marine grade wood. Best of luck.vicjet

CrdStang
    I found mohogany plywood to be within a couple bucks of A/B grade ply. It's got a nice fine grain, might want to check it out too.

dogfoot
    I am currently in the process of replacing the floor in my Cheetah re-furb and I'll tell you what, I will never put any type of wood in a boat again. There are numorous composite wood alternatives these days for things like framing members, stringers, etc. I am going to use it for all my seat bases. The best part is, you can get it at your local Home Depot or Lowes and it's not much more than marine grade wood and it will NEVER ROT and it's not any heavier. As for plywood or a sheet material check out Hardie siding materials, it is not any heavier, it's cheaper and it WON'T ROT.

1Bahnerjet
    Let us know how well the staples hold in composite wood alternatives before we all go out & use the same stuff. Thanks