Thread: cooling

sandsucker
    has anyone done a closed cooling system on a jet ? have a 460 with a berkley & lighting headers .

RubberDucky
    I had a 460 last year, and I sucked soooooooooooooooooooo much sand that I made a steam pocket, and ruined my motor [ I think]. I would be interested in how you do. Oh by the way when you break a 460 it grows into a 535!!!!!

quiet riot
    Yup, They're pretty common on alum sleds around here. You plumb you're cooling water from the jet thru the xchanger then out the exhaust. You use a standard water circulating pump and tstat on the motor like an auto application.
    I'm making one from alum for my new motor since I run tidal waters with salt around here and they help to hold some heat in the motor which is great for the drags where you might sit on the line for an hour before running sometimes. Several of the big dogs (pro mods etc..) use closed cooling also.
    Most exchangers are a standard size and made from copper/brass such as mercruiser uses. They can gather sand and overheat just like a open cooled system also though.
    jd

mrme
    As i was replacing the logs i thought well they are there lets take a look. So i poped out a freeze plug and christ i hate the fox river.
    Is it effective enough to just hook up the hose and let it run for a day or two.

Jungle Boy
    Originally posted by mrme
    As i was replacing the logs i thought well they are there lets take a look. So i poped out a freeze plug and christ i hate the fox river.
    Is it effective enough to just hook up the hose and let it run for a day or two.
    You should drain your block every time after using. Just park it on the trailer and open all the valves and let it run for a 15 / 30 seconds, (while the pump is still in the water!). This should flush things out good.