Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mercury Maximus

dr. margarita
    I haven't heard much about the success or failure of this prop. Anyone out there using them now that they've been out for a while? Anyone using them with a 496HO?

BoatFloating
    I've heard the production ones are not doing what everyone hoped like the test models.

TPI
    They are not going over so well. They made the diameter 15 5/8" which in my opinion is way too much prop for a single engine vee bottom under 30'. The original tested props were significantly smaller in diameter and they were lab finished. They worked very well. I dont know the exact truth as to why they made the change for production, so I have no facts to pass on............

dr. margarita
    Thanks guys!

Trash
    You'd think they would drop the diameter as they added blades (i.e. surface area).

TPI
    Exactly, They had a working prototype at somewhere around 15 1/4", and then for production they increase the surface area. Now the smaller boats are dragging a giant hunk of metal through the lake. Its no wonder they say you have to go down a couple pitch sizes to run one. I am sure the big twin boats love them though.

dr. margarita
    What about Hydromotive's five blade? Looks like a primo prop to me.

Conquest Deck
    I have a 26p five blade hydromotive love it faster planing unreal midrange lost 2-3 on the top.Was also running 28pbravo for comparison.

Conquest Deck
    28 foot conquest deck boat 496 whipple

TPI
    I have heard that the Herring 5 Blade works well, but its going to cost you over $1000. For now, IMO Merc lab props work pretty well all around. But you still have to sort them out and find the "perfect" one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast