Thread: Impeller Replacement

Boo
    I had the wate impeller shred itself on my Eliminator this weekend. I purchased a replacement kit and installed it. Unfortunately, I fired the boat up this morning and let it run for about 45 seconds and still no aqua out the pipes. I pulled everything apart again and nothing appears to be wrong. There a couple of small "tears" at the bottom of two of the fins, but I'm assuming that it is due to it being dry. I confirmed that the blades are bent the correct way to wipe the housing, but I'm confused on why it is not moving any water. Did I miss anything or is there something else that may be going on? How long should it take to prime and start to pump water? I'm frustrated as heck so any advice would surely be appreciated. Thanks Hot Boat.....

More info please. What kind of water pump?

HP350SC
    Disconnect hose at next thing in line like oil or p/s cooler, look for debris from old impeller restricting flow. Continue on down the line and backflush if necessary.

blown428fe
    On the trailer or in the water?

Boo
    On the trailer with a set of elephant ears. As the seapump is the first "stop" on the water's journey, sould I pull the exit line and see if the pump is moving water?

blown428fe
    Boo- How did you you make out there, any blockage?

paradigm shift
    Make sure your hoses are conected correctly to the pump. Housing is marked. Don't ask how I know to check that. Also if you shreaded a impeller you have trash in the oil cooler and will need at a minimum to back flush it. You may have to pull the cooler and rod it out to clean the tubes. Power steering cooler is probably a straight through with a big hole.
    I replace impeller at least once a year in the spring first thing. In fact I did mine this last weekend. Depending on how many hours I may have to replace again before the years is over. Sand and poor design of pump make them wear fast. I always carry spares also.

CustomCruiser
    We've all been there. Check and verify the hoses first, then back flush the oil cooler, then if you're running a thermostat, verify it is not blocked up with impeller fragments. Then, after you have located and corrected the problem, change your impeller again. All of this running dry has probably damaged it and it will most likely fail again the next time you're on the water.

rivercrazy
    Which engine do you have in your boat? If you have closed cooling, also check the heat exchanger for impeller debris.

Thunderbutt
    If the motor is completly dry it may take awhile to fill it. Put water in the motor with a hose untile it comes out the exhaust then start it