Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scat/Cat Rods

Kindsvater Flat
    Anyone actually have one fail on them? I here people talk bad about them except the people that use them.

Strength wise both are equal. Tolerance wise Scat has the edge as they are a mfg. and check stuff, CAT is a clothing importer and has to rely on China to check stuff. Either or, when they fail it is due to the person not checking tolerances.
    Chris

LakesOnly
    Originally posted by Kindsvater Flat
    Anyone actually have one fail on them? I here people talk bad about them except the people that use them.
    Scat and CAT are two entirely different rod manufacturers based in China.
    If I had too choose between Scat and CAT, I would choose Scat everytime. Scat does all their finish machining on their chinese-born crankshafts here in Long Beach, unlike the other crank and rod manufacturers in China. They seem to be tighter on their quality control department. The quality control on the parts completed and ready for sale from inside China seem to be hit-and-miss as for as QC goes. I am not certain where the final steps are performed on Scat's rods, but they are in California and you can go to their website and/or give them a call.
    Here's where I'm gonna throw a twist into the equation: I am running CAT rods. Suffice it to say that I didn't know any better at the time of my purchase. Never-the-less, they have not failed me. I too have heard of somebody that lost a chinese-made rod and of course all the critics jumped on the bandwagon. Rod's can fail...US-made, Chinese, whatever. What're gonna do about it?
    My CAT's are "rated" to 800HP. My motor generates about 580HP. Perhaps my frugal applicaton of my components in a build is why things stay togehter.
    My personal opinion of order on the "food chain" for chinese-made cranks and rods is:
    1) Scat
    2) Eagle
    3) CAT
    Don't even waste your time with any other manufacuters...
    No matter which manufacturer of brand new chinese-made stufff you buy, be sure to have a thorough mechanical inspection performed before they are put to use.
    LO

Blown 472
    Or just get a set of crowers.

TIMINATOR
    Scat and Eagle are weight matched much closer in sets as purchased. Never seen either be out more than a few grams.The Cat stuff is rare to find a set within 5-6 grams. About a third of the sets that customers bring in for balance(we WON'T SELL ANYTHING CAT MAKES)will not be able to be balanced at all.We've seen "sets"be out 15-17 grams! To be fair about this we are a Race/Hi-perf shop and our "street" balance is within .25 grams, and our race balance is to .1 gram. Most other balance shops use + or _ 2 to 4 grams as their standard. If thats all you need, go for it. Oh yeah, the big end sizing is held to a much closer tolerance too, but then again so what if a bearing spins,right? Is the prospect of that comforting? If stock is good enough, then use CAT, if you need somthing better, use Scat or Eagle. Its just my opinion, and I might be wrong. TIMINATOR

superdave013
    are these rods that much cheeper then a set of Manley's?
    K Flat, the way I look at it is a broken rod will take out everything. Put a good set of rods in that blown deal of yours.
    I'm a big fan of Carrillos but I know they are spendy. lol, so are the heads, block and crank.

SJ Valley Dave
    I agree about the Crowers. We put a .250 long set in a BBC last winter. 4340 USA steel machined in the USA. Good for 850 hp @ 8500 rpm. We are making about 650 so not a problem and the price was very competitive.

Infomaniac
    I have used all 3 Scat Cat and Eagle with no problems.
    Just measure everything very good.
    Get the better bolts. ARP 2000 or L-19

LakesOnly
    Hey K-Flat,
    Check the recurring statement:
    Originally posted by cstraub69
    ...when they fail it is due to the person not checking tolerances.
    Originally posted by LakesOnly
    No matter which manufacturer of brand new chinese-made stufff you buy, be sure to have a thorough mechanical inspection performed before they are put to use.
    Originally posted by Infomaniac
    Just measure everything very good.
    LO
    p.s. Of course, the others feelings about the American rods hold true. Timinator makes some interesting observations...

Kindsvater Flat
    I can get a set of scat rods for 350. Eagles for 650. Manleys were 850. Scared to even price a set of carrillos.
    I always measure everything twice so I know that won't be a problem. Definately use the good bolts.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast