Thread: Broken Prop Shaft Question

mbrown2
    Thought maybe I would get more looks from over here...any feedback appreciated...
    Broken Prop Shaft Thread in Outdrive Section (http://www.***boat.com/forums/showth...threadid=42857)

Lakeshow
    The prop was too large for that shaft. That shaft is the small one not the XR shaft that is 1 1/4".
    Learned that this weekend as the new lower that I got had a small shaft and Steve (Savage Marine) told me that if I put a larger prop on it I would break the shaft.
    My .02
    BTW-the lower went back to IMCO to get the larger shaft.

mbrown2
    Thnx Lake....
    Den probably likes hearing that here instead of from Savage Steve
    Steve has a way of making you feel really good when bringing in something broke j/k

Lakeshow
    LMAO
    Steve is definately Self Esteem Building Challenged. If youre not too thin skinned he really is funny as hell.

mbrown2
    Originally posted by Lakeshow
    LMAO
    Steve is definately Self Esteem Building Challenged. If youre not too thin skinned he really is funny as hell.
    Funny..You tend to get thicker after dealing with him a couple years...it took me a few trips...It only took Den and Al'Coholic 1 trip to him get through his exterior and then try unsuccessfully to coax the daughter into some boating for the day...

HavasuDreamin'
    I did the same thing on my Merc gearcase about 5-6 years ago right near Pittsburg Point. Dick Sherrer Marine told me that all but the 2.5L race motors used a two peice prop shaft where they spun welded them together. Mine broke right at the weld. I since had them install a 1-piece shaft, and no more problems.
    I am not sure if the stock B-1 shafts are two piece or not, but if they are, that is your problem.
    HD

Dennis26
    Just got off the phone with Max Machine. They recommended replacing my B1 shaft with their 1" shaft. They said because of the material their shaft is made of, the 1" would still be stronger than an XR 1 1/4". Parts and labor would be about $700-$800, which seems pretty cheap.
    Also, since me prop is now at the bottom of the lake, any recommendations on props. Mach 26, 725 hp, B1, 1.5 gears. I was running a Merc 32. Thanks.

al cole'holic
    ...hopefully they don't crack that lower open to do the cheap shaft job and find some gear out of whack too! You think you can "get'erdone" for Pineapple's DL crew trip this weekend..?