Thread: shifter / throttle controls

jwbbuck
    I need to replace a worn out Quicksilver control. I want to have seperate controls for throttle / shifting but I do not have room for a pod to mount a typical 2 handle control. If think I'll buy 2 seperate single controls, build a spacer to offset one of them so the handles don't hit each other and mount them with the pivots close together. Do I need to have detents for the shifter cable to make sure the drive stays in gear?

OGShocker
    What boat is this on?...
    BTW, welcome to the Jungle.

jwbbuck
    OG Shocker,
    1990 24' Warlock. The boat in storage right now or I'd tear it apart and see exactly what I've got to work with. I may go pick it up today and take a quick look.
    I'm only wondering if the adjustable detents that are found on some of the shifter controls are required to make sure it'll stay in gear and help you find neutral.

rivercrazy
    Definately what he said.....
    I hate the stock Merc / Quicksilver shifter combo.
    Just be very very very careful with the offshore set up. If you goose the throttle and then shift it in gear, you risk lots of expensive parts in the drive....But to me its worth it.
    Originally posted by RiverDave
    jwbbuck, I'll tell you I have full access to a machine shop and was just about to get into that same adventure. I wanted a gunnel mount "offshore" style shifter throttle combination.. After really looking into the matter and figuring out how to do it right it's definately cheaper just to buy the one already being produced. "In Control" Shifter/Throttle is exactly what your looking for... It's like 600'ish bucks, but it is the best one out there, and the only "gunnel" mount offshore style dealio. I bought mine from GT Marine - 909 - 982 - 8391. Ask for Phil.
    RD