Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 496ho ?

hd&boatrider
    Are any of the new engines having that soot buildup on thae back of the boat? I hope not as that is what I put in the new Shockwave. Wasn't that just a problem early on and has been taken care of? I can't remember if I asked Barry about that or not....

SLOWMAN
    When my 496HO was new I was running premium fuel and the black soot was bad. After 20 hours on engine I switched to 87 octane the black soot is not as bad but still there. Not sure if it was the fuel or the computer changes the fuel mixture after 20 hours. Either way there is still black soot on my transom, just not as bad now.

rivercrazy
    From what I hear it is still a problem with any of merc's EFI engines.
    I have a 2003 HO that still soots the transom after 95 hours. But no where near as bad as it was in the first 20. The first 20 are a MAJOR pain in the ass!
    What really helps is everytime you stop after a decent run, wet a small towel and towel off the soot. It keeps the buildup down and keeps peeps from tracking soot prints on the engine hatch and rear seat base.
    What I've learned is wash the transom at the end of every boating day with a VERY soft brush (Got mine at Pepboys) that mounts to a hose (water squirts directly through the brush). Put some car soap on the boat and brush the transom down with the water on. Takes the soot right off without much drama and it only takes a few minutes.

1Shockwaveguy
    I never had that problem with my Shockwave. I guess I got lucky.

rivercrazy
    There is significantly less soot using 87 versus 91 octane. The ecm is programmed to run on 87. Running 91 just makes it run a little richer.

hd&boatrider
    DAMN IT! I was hoping that was solved. Oh well, no choice but to start washing....****!
    I will go with your method RC.....Thanks again

roln 20s
    Well- how was the new boat? Any pics? You did get the maiden voyage correct?
    Hope it was all good.
    Roln 20s

rivercrazy
    Anytime bro.
    Another thing I've heard is a few guys sent their ECM's back to Merc for repgramming and experienced a substantial reduction in soot. But they make you wait until at least 20 hours.
    Whipple also has the exclusive rights to reprogram the 555 ECM on the 496's. Their stage two kit includes reprogramming the ECM for 91 octane and is supposed to increase power. I talked to Dustin over there a while back and he stated their reprogram also reduces soot buildup.
    But I think the ECM is programmed to run the motor in breakin mode for the first 20-30 hours or so.
    Brace yourself for the first few hours. Its gonna be a little messy! :yuk:

Ivan Dan
    I only have 5 hours on mine so far and the soot is pretty bad. Rivercrazy thanks for the tips I appreciate it. I will see if I can find a super soft brush like you are talking about. You don't notice any swirl marks or anything like that from the brush do you?

jackpunx
    Its all about Meguiars Magic.. I got it at the boat show.. spray a little on.. and wipe off.. thats it.. no drama..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast