Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 28' Sunsation

StingRay
    I'm on the verge of ordering a 28' Sunsation Intimidator. What attracts me as opposed to say a Scarab or Donzi, is it not only looks sleek and plush but for a 28'8" boat it weighs only 4500 lbs. That's 13.08 lbs. per sq. inch. That means with either a 496MAG-HL or HP500 there's more scoot for the bang. I read a ***boat article that stated a 288 with a 454MAG 385hp got 68.4 mph on the gun. I thought that excellent for a single of that length and power. My other options are either a 272 Baja or 28' PowerQuest with the 502MAG replacement 496MAG-HO (425hp) package. I'm curious about anyone's thoughts on these boats and which they think would provide the most bang for the buck. I'll operate in the southern Chesapeake Bay area...
    [This message has been edited by StingRay (edited January 04, 2001).]

MillerLite88
    Hey Stingray, I will agree with you that the Sunsation is a great looking boat! I currently own a baja 272 Boss with a procharged 502 mag and I am very happy with it. Now that certainly does not mean that it is the best out there or the way you ought to go, just letting you know that my experience with Baja has been pleasant.

StingRay
    Thanks MillerLite88 for your reply. You're right, the Baja especially the Boss 272 is a great boat. I run in the southern ChesBay of Virginia so I see PowerBoats of all kinds and engine configurations. I've always liked the sharp lines of the Baja and from talking to various owners, their rough water ride is outstanding. I currently own a 98 230SX StingRay with a 502MAG and I can consistantly get 74-76 mph plus I think the hull design cuts like no other. BUT! I'm wanting to move up in size in order to run deeper rougher waters. The Sunsation seems to have the ingredients I'm looking for and for a boat 4 inches shy of 29 feet, it weighs only 4500 lbs (read easy tow with the F-150 5.8L). This boat was specifically designed to rock with a single engine (I'm thinking 496MAG-HO or HP500). The price is right for me and the performance specs are attractive without delving into a mega dollar engine and fuel package. I guess the other driving force is that there are no other Sunsations here and it would be a real attention getter to be the first with custom paint. So, I'd like to hear from other Sunsation owners or folks who know of any to get their cut on this little known manufacturer...
    [This message has been edited by StingRay (edited November 30, 2000).]

StingRay
    DISREGARD, THIS WAS A DOUBLE CLUTCH....
    [This message has been edited by StingRay (edited November 30, 2000).]

sun28int
    StingRay,
    I have a '95 28' Sunsation that my wife and I had built in late '94 ( boy was that a cold test drive, 74.9mph in Michigan in November). Absolutely love the boat, have 3 friends in the area who have since brought Sunsations' after seeing and riding in mine.
    (1 25' w/454Mag, 1 28' w/502Mag EFI, 1 32' w T500HP's) Ours was originally equippped with a 500HP, went 74.9mph on GPS during shakedown run when we pick it up. After a couple of years we became very comfortable with it and had to have more so I put on a B&M 250 blower and went 87mph with 7lbs of boost (have since backed it down to 4.5lbs, I'd never hear the end of it if I grenaded the motor, still runs 82mph)My friend with the other 28'(it's a '99) w/ 502Mag EFI runs just over 70mph, all day thru everything. The other guys '32 is awesome, 88-90mph, will set you back in the seat @50mph, and stock, warrantied power!
    We all attend 4-5 Poker runs a year together and all the other boat owners have to come over to see the boats after we go past them.
    We all have nothing but good to say (typical little problems)and we are all looking to upgrade to a larger, faster Sunsation.
    E-mail me back with any questions.

StingRay
    sun28int
    Thanx for the reply. What you've said helps validate my somewhat limited research. I guess other questions I would have deal with the warranty service Sunsation provides when problems, especially with the hull/cabin, arise. Your friend with the 99' 28-502MAG interests me since his is realy close to what I'm looking to order. With the 496MAG-HO package Silent-Choice, tabs, bolsters and everything else standard with plain white hull, for custom graphics later, I've been quoted 71K with me going to Mich. to pick it up. I'm guessing with 425hp it should get 72mph. Comparable boats like a 29 Scarab at 5500 lbs are getting only 64mph with a 502MAG. Besides, where I live Scarabs are like fly's around here. If you were to narrow it down to just 2-3 negatives with your ownership and/or your friends, what would they be? I'm getting the straight party line from the dealer "all is great" and since there are no Sunsation's locally it's a bit intimidating to post 71K for a relative unknown. Performance per inch, rough water ride, style and total dollar value are what's attracting me. I guess I just need affirmation that it's a good choice. I'd appreciate any more insight or stories you or anyone else could provide...

sun28int
    StingRay,
    I also was a bit reluctent to put that kind of money down when we brought ours in'94. Went to the Cedar Point, OH boat show to look at Sunsation side by side with 29'Fountain, went for rides on both, placed our order for the 28' Intimidator and it wasn't a matter of a money difference, the Sunsation will stand bow-to-bow any day. And I still believe that after 5 years of usage. Rough water ride is great, no squeaks, rattles, or groans, just hammer down and keep on going.
    Only real problems we have had are with some accessory equipment,refrigerator and depth sounder, both of which Sunsation replaced with no hassle, although I did take it halfway back to them from southern Ohio. One of the Schadenbrand brothers' met me at the halfway point, towed the boat back to the factory and had it ready for us to pickup at the Sunsation Rally the next weekend. No dealers in our area at that time, so I knew I would have to deal with factory direct. If you have a local dealer it should be even easier.
    One other problem we have all had is the speedo tube popping off back of speedo or splitting at transom. Mine split the 1st time the boat went over 80mph (oh well, I guess that's something else that needs upgraded when you install a blower!). Other buddys 28' just popped the tube off the back of the speedo,a better hoses clamp took care of that. The guy with the 32' kept splitting the hose, he finally gave up and ordered a Gaffrig GPS speedo, problem solved and always dead accurate.
    My e-mail address is sun28int@juno.com if you want to contact me direct.

StingRay
    Thanx Again sun28int
    I appreciate your candid reply. It's always a good thing to rely on a fellow powerboater to render "the gouge." I'll contact you at your email...
    I'm still open to hear more from others...

Brip
    Hey Stingray,
    I see that you too are located in Va Beach.
    I looked at he same boat as you, but ended up buying a Powerquest 280 w/ a 502.
    Max speed is 71, but 68-69 (gps)is all day everyday. As you know, where we boat, it can get nasty. I test drove a Sunsation 28 in kinda snotty waters. I was not that thrilled with the way it handled "confused" waters like we have around here. I test drove a Powerquest in slightly worse conditions. In my opinion the PQ rode much better.
    You should look at one of these and compare the build quality. I have had Baja, Scarab, Wellcraft, and a Seadoo (boat)in the last 5 years. The PQ is the best I have ever had. My freind has a 2000 Baja 272 w/ same motor as I . The PQ is wider, and weighs more, yet I can just squeek by him. The PQ also has the biggest cockpit I have ever seen. It is as large as most 31' boats. If you want to see how my PQ was built (I went to the factory to see it being built) go to my web page after the first of the year. http://home.infi.net/~brip/index.html
    If you want to see my boat, I'll be glad to show it to you. I keep it at Marina Shores.
    Don't get me wrong, the Sunsation is a nice boat, but I was more impressed w/ the PQ. Plus the dealer (Hope Springs Boat sales..Dave) in Stafford VA. will deal. Heck he took about 27% off of my boat. I saw the invoice prices so I know he only made about 1000.00 plus his rigging fee.
    Check out this link:
    http://archive.powerboatmag.com/1998...eature005.html
    Oh well....FYI.
    Bill
    [This message has been edited by Brip (edited December 30, 2000).]

StingRay
    Thanx Brip
    You know I think I've seen you and your boat. I spend a lot of time in Broad Bay and at the Narrows.
    I had thought about the PQ but was concerned with it's beefiness and weight and assumed it would perform like the 29 Scarab 502. The other consideration was the operating costs of the relatively lighter Sunsation boat. I'm still not 100% sure and like I said in a previous note; most bang for the buck with no performance disappointments. Hard part is there's give and take for everything and it's good input from fellow experienced boaters such as yourself that will hopefully save me some "growing" (23'-28') pains.
    I'll check-in with Hope Springs and see what they have to offer. I plan on attending the boat shows coming up during the next couple of months as well, to get up close looks at various models.
    Where did you get to look and test drive the Sunsation? I know of the one dealer in MD and NC.
    Anyway Bill, thanks for your input and I'm gonna check out your website. I look forward to seeing you and the PQ up on the beach at the Narrows or over at Sunset Beach possibly. By the way, I can stand on my dock and see Marina Shores (I live on Bay Island)...Happy New Boating Year!!

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast