Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Trident Boats Engine #1

GofastRacer
    I never paint the inside, if there's something in the metal that has a reaction to paint you will not know it at the time but it will come off later and that =spun bearings. If worried about oil drain back, polish the valey area!..

Taylorman
    Originally posted by Infomaniac
    These Edelbrock heads have been gasket matched only. Not sure about the HP capabilities. In this application we will be holding back on the power. Kind of the opposite of trying to eek out the last HP. They would not be my first choice for an engine any larger than 522.
    What made you choose these heads? The reason for my question about being ported or not is i was just wondering if they are capable of 600-700 hp without being ported.

Infomaniac
    These heads will make more than enough power.
    They were chosen mainly because they are a Marine head.
    Thick deck, heat treated, hard anodized, inconel exhaust valves, etc.

tbanzer
    Out of curiosity, why is there such a difference in the cylinders that require such a large difference in push rod length? Never seen that before.

Infomaniac
    Maybe you are looking at the experiment for pushrod length?
    I checked more than one cyl just for shits and grins.
    Every cylinder got the Isky shorter push rods.

tbanzer
    I must have misunderstood your post. I thought you meant that two of the cylindrs required stock length push rods and the other two cylinders required .150" shorter.

JC
    "UPDATE: The GM block and crank will be replaced with a Dart/Merlin III block and Eagle crank for all production engines. This prototype engine will remain unchanged"
    Infomaniac: Maybe I missed it, but why change from the GM block and crank for your production engines?
    Great thread, thanks.

Froggystyle
    There are a variety of reasons why, but they all boil down to the question "what is best for the Trident boat owners?"
    The Dart/Merlin combination is proven absolutely bombproof, is Ron's first choice and works with all Gen IV aftermarket parts, which are far more plentiful and developed than the Gen VI stuff available. Things like a Dan Olsen oil cooler, Dooley pan/windage tray, timing cover etc... were cheaper, more available and better supported for the Gen IV block and crank.
    It is a great decision by Ron, and one I support 100%. They are a little more expensive than the Chevy parts, but we feel that the durability, performance and racing heritage will be well worth it.
    Bottom line, it will make a better motor package.

Taylorman
    So is engine # 1 complete? Got pictures?

Infomaniac
    Yes it is done but I need to take pictures.
    All of #2 is bought and will start rolling in next week.
    I will update everything ASAP.