Thread: Looking for a decent portable

Tom Brown
    My boat is a small outboard so I try to keep it simple and light. No stereo. I'd like to have a portable unit for the two nice days a year when I'm lounging around on the water.
    I don't give a shit about LED light shows on the poles of the speakers or anything like that. I'd just like the best sound I can find in a portable that isn't too big to fit in the trunk of my car. Can someone give me an idea of where to start? Maybe some brands to look at?

sorry dog
    Tom in his college days and his boombox...

Kachina26
    How about the XM portable setup?

1stepcloser
    Originally posted by Kachina26
    How about the XM portable setup?
    Do they have XM in Canada?

Kachina26
    Check it out Sort of not really (http://www.xmradio.com/faq/help_sub....=0&pgSize=10#1)

ROZ
    Satellite doens't have borders..... I can tell you from experience that you will receive it in Ensenada. A friend of mine who frequents baja to offroad has gets the signal 480 miles south of the border. You may get it even further down, but that's as far as he went.....

Tom Brown
    LOL!, 1step.
    We have a thing in Canada that we like to call frequency modulation. It's high quality signal that we can receive... for free.
    Mostly, I want to play CDs and listen to FM. Nothing else matters.
    I'll shop a few stores and pick from whatever they've got but our local selection is pretty limited.
    Thanks, guys.

Kachina26
    Originally posted by Tom Brown
    LOL!, 1step.
    We have a thing in Canada that we like to call frequency modulation. It's high quality signal that we can receive... for free.
    Mostly, I want to play CDs and listen to FM. Nothing else matters.
    I'll shop a few stores and pick from whatever they've got but our local selection is pretty limited.
    Thanks, guys. Unless your Frequency Modulation system is run by the state, it is probably polluted with commercials, not to mention the same stinking songs over and over again. Hey to each their own, good luck with the hunt.

rivercrazy
    Sounds to me like he is looking for a good old fashioned Honkey Blaster!

77charger
    For my jet boat i had a sony sports model portable.It had that skip protection on it too.The big thing i liked about it is that it came with a 12v power cord that plugs into a gigarette lighter(beats replacing d batteries).So i was able to listen alot.
    Downside if it is a crowded place good luck hearing it but if a mellow place it was no problem