Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Marine power 454 or Merc 496?

rposton1
    I have a chance of getting a marine power 454 or the merc 496 which one is better? thanks....... Robert

Boozer
    Which one costs less hp per $ ?
    Which one has a better warranty?
    Which one is going to support the add ons you plan to throw at it?

rivercrazy
    Questions:
    * Is the 454 a 454 Mag? Carb'ed or EFI?
    * Do you have plans on upgrading? The 496 EFI is harder to upgrade. It also has cast pistons versus forged slugs for the 454 mag.
    I'd say if your going to stay stock, get the 496HO. It would probably give you 2-3 mph more top end. If your going to upgrade, the 454 is a better base to start with and aftermarket parts are cheaper and more available

BADBLOWN572
    Typically the Marine Power 454 is a carbuerated motor that is put together very well. The Merc 496 is a fuel injected motor that is great in the stock configuration. I think that this will also depend on the setup you are running. I would sugges the Marine Power for a jet setup and a Merc for an IO. Be aware, some of the time the 496 will have problems if additional power is added at a later time.

surfer2001
    My 454 was a MAG EFI 385 HP, MY new boat has the 496 MAG HO 425 HP. Both ran great, with the extra hp I can run faster at a lower RPM. You don't give enough info to name the better one. Also application needs to be known.
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...myboat-med.JPG

rivercrazy
    I believe he is getting a 22 foot low profile jet boat

rposton1
    It will be for a Shockwave 22 sc Jet, I'm going to just do a few mods to the motor so I was leaning towards the 454 mag....Robert:wink:

rivercrazy
    What are you thinking down the road? Blower or normally aspirated?
    You can easily bump that motor from 390HP to 475HP with a cam change, intake, carb, and headers. You will pick up about 4-5mph going that route. Make sure you get a double pumper / mechanical secondary carb for a jetboat. More instant rpm = better accel.
    If your thinking about more normally aspirated, heads are the next step. Then your pretty much tapped out unless our go NOS without block related work....
    Jets like cubic inches and to go bigger you will need a different crank and pistons along with block work.
    With a larger jet, you want good power below 5K rpm or you will have to turn a small impeller at really high rpm and will loose midrange cruising effiency.
    I was going through all these scenarios before deciding to go up to the 25 Shockwave Tremor with an I/O

77charger
    If you plan on adding to it go 454 if you want to leave it stock go 496.
    The 454 will be easier to upgrade esp for a person like me.

Kilrtoy
    isnt Marine poweer 454 a jet and a 496 an outdrive

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast