Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Merc best 2,5's

W. Tripp
    I have heared rumblings of an inline 4 cylinder 4-stroke with a bigger bore than the Verado that will be supercharged and intercooled on a 12-15 inch midsection. This is intended to be the next generation racing and high performance engine.
    If they can get the torque up with boost, and make a reliable 1.5:1 ratio final drive gearcase, this has REAL POTENTIAL. Look at what has been done with 2.0-2.3 liters in import racing. If they can make over 1100 hp, a wide TORQUE band 4-stroke can be a reality for an outboard.

HavasuDreamin'
    No doubt 4-stroke is the way of future. I guess it has to be because of the tree huggers. In its initial stages (including now IMHO), the motors have two major problems:
    1. Too heavy.
    2. Lower reving motors focusing on low end and mid range.
    I do think that the Verado is a step in the right direction. I would love to see a 4 cyl. putting out 250 hp or so with a 7K limit weighing in at about 400 - 450 lbs.
    That would kick a**. I definately see it coming, just when?

W. Tripp
    Look at the weights of the new 150/175 hp Yamaha 2.67L (466 lbs) and the Suzuki 140 2.3L (400-425). This is with a 20 inch midsection. I do not like the geometry of the Honda outboards...rod to stroke is WAY off. But, Honda has 2.0 and 2.2 liter engines in the S2000 car that revs to 9000 rpm. Just add boost! The import drag racers are seeing 11-12,000 rpm in the naturally asperated classes.
    I expect Merc's new racing engine to be available for the 2006 season. And there are rumors of a Toyota racing outboard that will rev to 20,000 rpm. I can't wait to hear that one run.
    Overall, I think that 4-strokes will be a GOOD thing for our sport. Remember when cars started getting fuel injection? Everyone started crying "the sky is falling"....now look at where performance has taken us.
    P.S. - Toffen, sorry to highjack your thread.

sorry dog
    I guess we'll have to embrace them at some point but I'll still add a bottle of oil for the smoke effects.

Maverick
    What brand of oil and what oil ratios are you runing in a 2.5 EFI???
    I'm getting into a used boat and believe they were running KLOTZ.
    What WOT rpms should this motor run ????
    any thoughts or tech that I can review??
    MAV

VIKING
    Originally posted by sorry dog
    I guess we'll have to embrace them at some point but I'll still add a bottle of oil for the smoke effects.
    Good one sorry dog
    My wife wants me to get a I/O she hates the noise and the smoke. BUT I LOVE THE SPEED!!!! pound for pound it's tough to beat a outboard
    Mave, I use Amsoil 100:1 on all my 2 strokes and have NEVER had a lube problem even with NOS.

HavasuDreamin'
    Originally posted by Maverick
    What brand of oil and what oil ratios are you runing in a 2.5 EFI???
    I'm getting into a used boat and believe they were running KLOTZ.
    What WOT rpms should this motor run ????
    any thoughts or tech that I can review??
    MAV
    Klotz KL-333 is good oil. Make sure to run a synthetic oil, what ever brand you choose. I don't know any one getting away with 100:1. That is way thin. I run 32:1 and have more than 7 seasons on my motor. Runs like a bat out of hell still.
    You should see 7,500 RPM + out of a 2.5L EFI motor. Good Luck.

Tom Brown
    Originally posted by W. Tripp
    I expect Merc's new racing engine to be available for the 2006 season. And there are rumors of a Toyota racing outboard that will rev to 20,000 rpm. I can't wait to hear that one run.
    They should get some of their engineers from that project over to the Formula 1 team. The Toyota F1 engine won't turn that fast and live.
    Someone should do an unbiased performance comparison between the MAD EFI system and the SVS/PCU. I'm hearing of several racers dump their SVS in favor of the MAD EFI kit.

Kim Hanson
    Whats a Merc? Oh, yeah that AZH's friend isn't it ........( . )( . )...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12