Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Turbocharging an outboard

MANIC MECHANIC
    I have an old Land and Sea performance catalogue that has a picture of an outboard with a turbo installed on it.
    How is it possible to turbocharge a two stroke?
    Wouldn't most of the boost be lost due to the lack of a positively closed exhaust valve?
    Is it possible to supercharge an outboard?
    Tim

CMABadseed
    check out this http://www.madefi.com/images/871-BLOWER.jpg
    i'd say it is possible after lookin at that...at least supercharging.

Kim Hanson
    Originally posted by CMABadseed
    check out this http://www.madefi.com/images/871-BLOWER.jpg
    i'd say it is possible after lookin at that...at least supercharging.
    That is Rick Gillmans engine...Rude baby! I have never seen anyone else do it, he might be at BBSP this year! That's what I heard, wild to see 16 sparkplugs .....( . )( . )......Top Fuel Dragster stuff.......

VIKING
    Yes you can supercharge a 2 stroke. One of the problems that they have is the horsepower that they rob to power the blower and by the time you get the rpm's up to power the blower you are already in the power band.. The blow-by is controlled by the amount of charge and port timing. What I would LOVE to see is a power valve exhaust on a outboard. Like the ones in dirt bikes,snowmobiles and rotary valve Sea Doo. The extra low end and fuel economy would great. I would give up NOS for that.

Tom Brown
    I think someone is working on a new turbo kit. The project could be mothballed because I heard about it a few years ago but have seen nothing. Maybe it was Simon?

VIKING
    Keith that looks hot. I saw a turbo Yamaha over 10 years ago in Pinks Perfomance lobby in Fla. but it wasn't as hot as yours. What type of hp gain did you see on dyno tests?

STV_Keith
    That's the old L&S kit. Not mine, but I LIKE IT! I'm a big proponent of turbocharging, but without some kind of valve like VIKING was discussing, a lot of boost/fuel goes out the exhaust.
    Sure, it does work though. Eric Simon had a reportedly 600hp 2.5 Merc/turbo in a sand rail car.

VIKING
    600 hp powerhead in a sand rail!! That sounds cool. In the late 80's I put a 50hp merc powerhead in a Aztec 6wheeler. I know now after doing it, I didn't get all the power from it, do to the lack of a good tuned pipe and I could never get any gooood info to build a 4cylinder pipe from Merc. but it was fun. Live & Learn$$$$ If I was smart , insted of pouring hour after hour and money into this stuff. I would have in the 80's bought stock in Microsoft!! And NOW! I would be pouring money into this stuff.

VIKING
    Hey guys on my first reply I was thinking of a blower not a tuboI think it would have a really wild power band without the exhaust valve like the rotary mazda engines on turbo have a wild one also do to the lack of a valve. A friend of mine in sarasota Fla. put a RX7 motor in a 17' I/O It ran good but the rpms had to run around @8000 "for cruising" the water cooled exhaust was a bitch.The boat's name was "ROTOR BOATER" he owns a automotive performance shop and "really" knows his stuff The name is Lowe Performance. I suggested to change the name. but his name is Mike Lowe and he said whats wrong with my name? Tom Brown I ck the link to the BYUBOZYZ.COM and T-REX sounds like he's been around. A bit tough to understand but when your talken two stroke WE ALLL understand. Boat on dudes!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast