Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Draining my oil

krazykona
    Anyone have a trick to draining your oil or getting it to heat up without running the motor. I have a drain tube running from the pan out thru a drain hole in the transom. I just dont think I have got all the old oil out. Anyway to flush it. I have heard of people flushing their motor with diesel fuel or kerosene. Is this a good idea? Thanks for any input.

rivercrazy
    I wouldn't put anything in your motor besides oil.
    The best way I've found for removing oil from the drain tube off the pan is to use a drill pump. I connect mine to a cordless drill and it does a great job of pulling as much oil out of the pan as possible.
    BTW, its almost impossible to get all the oil out of the pan no matter what method you use. Just change it often

krazykona
    Thanks rivercrazy, Ill give the drillpump a shot. You ever try Shooting compressed air thru your dipstick tube?

rivercrazy
    I haven't. The other method has served me pretty well.

77charger
    krazykona:
    Thanks rivercrazy, Ill give the drillpump a shot. You ever try Shooting compressed air thru your dipstick tube? if you build to much pressure with the air you might have another way for oil to exit your motor!I dont think you will get all the oil out anyhow but as long as the filter is changed whats a 1/4 qt of old oil to 7-10 qts of new.

rivercrazy
    Air compressors usually have quite of bit of water in them from condensation and pressure/relief cycles. This would might also cause some rust in the compressor tank. I'd ditch the air compressor thingy and stick to a pump or gravity

krazykona
    Thanks for the input guys, Ill get myself a drill pump, sound like the best idea.

Itsahobby
    I got a tank that you pump up vacum in then stick
    a small hose down the dip stick. Open the valve
    and it sucks the oil out. Only bad thing is it
    only holds 5 qts. I got it through West marine.
    It's called topsider MVP. They have several other
    types with electric motors.
    Itsahobby

shirkey4750
    I use an old shop vac, turn it on stick it to your drain and your done in just a few minutes and it gets the most oil out of every thing else that I have tried. I use the suction gun on the dipstick on my 26' Rinker because I can't get to drain plug very easy.

TCHB
    You can buy a pretty neat little tool.
    It comes with a three gallon plastic can with a small pump mounted to the top. The pump is powered by a small 12v electric motor that has long clips to connect to your battery. The suction tube can be put into the dip stick or the drain line. It took me about 5 minutes total time to suck out 7 quarts of oil through the dip stick. Overtons has a couple in the catalog.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast