Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tacoma 4x4 doublecab V6,auto. Pulling?

HandsOn
    Looking at buying a tacoma 2004, 4x4,TRD, v6, auto. Anyone have any experience towing with one. Boat is approx. 3500-4000lbs. Good or bad idea??

rivercrazy
    It will pull that load just fine.

sorry dog
    I don't know if they have changed the tranny any but I've pulled my 2000-2300# boat a few times with a T100 that has the same 6 and it does OK. The motor runs real smooth so it didn't bother me but it did have to downshift a lot for any type of grade on the interstate. The tacoma weighs less so that should help. With the T100 - if I towing with that a bunch then I would put in a tranny cooler, but maybe they have made some revisions since then...
    I can say for sure though that you will know the boat is back there if it weighs that much.

Phat Matt
    I used to pull this with a 2001 Nissan Pathfinder 4x4, auto, v6. I could definitely feel the boat behind me. I think with the trailer it was close to 5000lbs, which was the towing capacity. Go up the long hills wasn't the greatest if you lost momentum. And I always got a little worried when the tach started screaming. So I bought a new Excursion 4x4 with the 6.0L diesel. Now I put the cruise control on and forget the boat is back there. Now I think I need to get a bigger boat.

Chris Winn
    i had a 2001 crew cab 4 wheel drive (it had everything but the trd package) it pulled my 25ft Baja no problem (it was even better after i put the trd blower on it) it was a great truck, the metal is a little thin and it did ding easy though (don't buy a black one!)
    i think that it is rated to tow 4500lbs, and i pulled about 5500lbs with it with no problem.

HandsOn
    Looking at the tacoma because of better gas mileage as a daily driver vs. my chevy 4x4. Not sure if I really need a 4x4 to tow the boat.

77charger
    dont expect alot of milage on the drive train with that v6 towing a boat that size.
    I had an older 94 v6 towed a 19ft jet here and there well it needed 2 valve jobs by 105k biggest pos i ever owned and will never own another toyota

Kilrtoy
    It will pull that load just fine.
    At 35mph Downhill

ROZ
    Originally posted by 77charger
    dont expect alot of milage on the drive train with that v6 towing a boat that size.
    I had an older 94 v6 towed a 19ft jet here and there well it needed 2 valve jobs by 105k biggest pos i ever owned and will never own another toyota
    94 and older was just over 150hp (now what new 4cyl taco's have) and had problems... 95 and up and bag the rear and i think it should be fine, especially with the supercharge

Boozer
    Buy a dodge and forget about it. You want good gas mileage? Go spend 40k on your tow rig and 4k on a daily driver used civic.
    My boat nailed the back of my truck going 60mph. I hit a wall. Total cost of repairs is going to be $1,000. Had that been a Toyota I'd probably be dead right now.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast