Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: intercooler talk and ??? turbo stuff

superdave013
    Ok, for those of you that have been following my project I'm doing a tiwn turbo BBC.
    For the intercooler I was going to use the core from my Superchiller and make a new housing to mount on top of my tunnelram.
    Well I've got to thinking. Why gut a good intercooler. Why not just get a new core from someplace. It seems that I could get a bigger/thicker core to put in the as of yet unmade housing.
    So all you turbo guys out there, what cores are you using and where did you get them?

superdave013
    Look at this one. It's an air to air deal. The turbo boost is going thru the center tube and it's mounted in the front of a car.
    Could I put it in a box and run water through the center?

schiada96
    You could use it, but how long it would last is another story. Thin alum tube and water?? Search heat exchangers on the net and look there. You need copper. You find what you want and I'll build you a box to put it in.

superdave013
    schiada96:
    You could use it, but how long it would last is another story. Thin alum tube and water?? Search heat exchangers on the net and look there. You need copper. You find what you want and I'll build you a box to put it in.Ah, good point by you. Hey, pm me your phone #. I have a few things that I want to talk about with you.

beaverfab
    Dave are you using injection or carburetor? I am building a setup uith injection using a blower manifold and a superchiller on top then fabing a dog house for the turbos to blow into. j.j.

schiada96
    Bvr-fab I've done one like that. Just be sure to put a divider in it so the turbos don't fight each outher. The lee intercooler is cool also.
    Cmi slpit top to set the turbos on. Lee intercooler on a olsen sheetmetal intake motec engine control wait I'm dreaming.

Unchained
    Dave, I went over to Tom the turbo guru's place saturday and checked out a lot of interesting turbo stuff. Tom said for my application to get a Ford air cond condenser and build an aluminum box around it for the intercooler. That will mount on top of a single 4 manifold. I bought the Victor intake the guy had for sale on the Vdrive forum. Tom also had some great ideas for the EFI setup. He said to Y both turbos together into one large 80 mm throttle body and that would be plenty large. He has a dyno in his garage and I believe he said he got 1500 hp out of his setup on a 572 Arias engine. He said he got 1000 ft lb torque at 3500 rpm. I'm going to dyno tune my setup on his dyno. He said $ 300 to dyno tune. Sounds reasonable enough to me.
    I ordered the Turbos, Once they get here I'm ready to make the stainless exhaust manifolds.

superdave013
    Beaver Fab, I'm using carbs but it will be draw thru so I could do it that way. But I'm not using a blower manfold. I'm using a tunnel ram, that's where the new housing idea came from.
    Mark, I do plan on talking to Tom very soon. I just thought I'ed toss this up to see what kind of crafty ideas others had.
    Ford air cond condenser eh? I'll swing by the Pick A Part and bust one open to take a look at it. I would think that would be a much thicker core then the superchiller is.

502procharger
    i saw a few procharger intercoolers on e-bay. they are small and work well. it might be worth looking into.

JLaughreySS24
    I was thinking the same thing. Why not a ProCharger intercooler? They can weld tabs on the unit so you can mount it where ever you want.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast