Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whipple or Procharger for the HP500?

mbrown2
    During the weekend, I met another DCB owner, and he is running a Mach 26 with HP500 and XZ drive..He is a lurker around these boards, so he wanted to ask the question which charger to use with for this Engine setup and why? He was looking for advice from anyone with either of these systems on the HP500, and how do you feel about them...any advice would be helpful...I have the Whipple on a 502, and already let him know I thought it made great HP at the lower RPM's and had no complaints about the system, but he wants to hear both sides if anyone has info...Thnx Mike

JLaughreySS24
    Hey Mike, Just wanted to know if you have the carbed version or the EFI? I have a 502 with a B&M 250 and superchiller and would like to switch over to the carbed whipple. Do you have any pics you could send me? By the way, I had a procharger on my 502 as well and its a nice set up but I like the whipple better. Its a lot cleaner set up. I do think that the procharger is a little more friendly on the drive but I think its just a matter of not mashing on the throttle out of the hole. Anyway thanks for any info or pics you have.

mbrown2
    JLaughreySS24:
    Hey Mike, Just wanted to know if you have the carbed version or the EFI? I have a 502 with a B&M 250 and superchiller and would like to switch over to the carbed whipple. Do you have any pics you could send me? By the way, I had a procharger on my 502 as well and its a nice set up but I like the whipple better. Its a lot cleaner set up. I do think that the procharger is a little more friendly on the drive but I think its just a matter of not mashing on the throttle out of the hole. Anyway thanks for any info or pics you have.I am running the 502EFI Whipple...I don't have any pics of the engine currently, but I will try and get some in a couple of weeks when I am back at the river...The guy I met with the question is running the 500HP EFI

Maverick
    mbrown2:
    JLaughreySS24:
    Hey Mike, Just wanted to know if you have the carbed version or the EFI? I have a 502 with a B&M 250 and superchiller and would like to switch over to the carbed whipple. Do you have any pics you could send me? By the way, I had a procharger on my 502 as well and its a nice set up but I like the whipple better. Its a lot cleaner set up. I do think that the procharger is a little more friendly on the drive but I think its just a matter of not mashing on the throttle out of the hole. Anyway thanks for any info or pics you have.I am running the 502EFI Whipple...I don't have any pics of the engine currently, but I will try and get some in a couple of weeks when I am back at the river...The guy I met with the question is running the 500HP EFI

Maverick
    mbrown2:
    JLaughreySS24:
    Hey Mike, Just wanted to know if you have the carbed version or the EFI? I have a 502 with a B&M 250 and superchiller and would like to switch over to the carbed whipple. Do you have any pics you could send me? By the way, I had a procharger on my 502 as well and its a nice set up but I like the whipple better. Its a lot cleaner set up. I do think that the procharger is a little more friendly on the drive but I think its just a matter of not mashing on the throttle out of the hole. Anyway thanks for any info or pics you have.I am running the 502EFI Whipple...I don't have any pics of the engine currently, but I will try and get some in a couple of weeks when I am back at the river...The guy I met with the question is running the 500HP EFIWhat kind of a boost did you get out of the whipple over the stock 502 EFI? ANd at what cost?
    Mav

mbrown2
    Maverick
    [/qb]What kind of a boost did you get out of the whipple over the stock 502 EFI? ANd at what cost?
    Mav[/QB][/QUOTE]
    I bought the boat with the Whipple already installed, so I am not sure what it was like before and after and what it cost...you should call Dustin at Whipple, or GT Performance in Montclair, CA. It is running 6lbs of boost..between 600-625hp. We have another smaller boat with a 454mag/385hp, and the diff between the 502/Whipple and stock 454mag is like night and day...The pull and torque with the 502/Whipple is incredible. Also, a lot more cost effective than a new Blower Motor.
    [ October 14, 2002, 09:55 PM: Message edited by: mbrown2 ]

NashvilleBound
    I run the Whipple on the HP500EFI in a Ultra 247XS. Best option I ever did. Gary at Gt has a very fine company. Amazing response and torque. Running a 30" Bravo1 with 11 people (safely) all the way to 5200rpm @84mph. Do the Whipple...... (sounds like a dance)
    NB

mbrown2
    NashvilleBound:
    Do the Whipple...... (sounds like a dance)
    NBThnx for the response...hopefully the lurker I met at the river gets the message to go with the Whipple on the 500hp.
    So you had GT do your upgrade? What did you think of their work? I was talking to them about some upgrades in the offseason..basically take and upgrade CAM, Heads, etc..to make my 502 the same internals as the 500HP (from what Gary says)..this way afterwards it should put up the same HP numbers as the 500HP with Whipple.
    I thought about going Teague 800, but if I am going to spend that kind of money, I would probably go with GT's 540 with Whipple and it would fit under the hatch and still make 800hp. However, it is approximately 9K to make a 502/Whippled with other work get 725Hp-750Hp versus 30K for the new motor with either builder. I am thinking I can live with 50 less horses...at least for now.

NashvilleBound
    I think Garys shop is first rate. He did what he said he would do when he said he would. In this biz thats the minority. Gary is a pleasure to work with. I like to wheel and deal a little bit and he doesnt seem to play that game very well. But you really do get what you pay for over there. If I do another boat next year a pair of his 572 w/quad whipples will be the train! BTW, Gary knew I was going on the Piru trip last weekend and got it done in a pinch for me. He even said he would drive to Piru if there was a problem.....where the hell do you get that kind of customer service??? I think Gary would reccommend work only if he would do the same to his boat.
    NB

mbrown2
    NashvilleBound:
    I think Garys shop is first rate. He did what he said he would do when he said he would. In this biz thats the minority. Gary is a pleasure to work with. I like to wheel and deal a little bit and he doesnt seem to play that game very well. But you really do get what you pay for over there. If I do another boat next year a pair of his 572 w/quad whipples will be the train! BTW, Gary knew I was going on the Piru trip last weekend and got it done in a pinch for me. He even said he would drive to Piru if there was a problem.....where the hell do you get that kind of customer service??? I think Gary would reccommend work only if he would do the same to his boat.
    NBThnx for the feedback...if I get the work done, I am definitely going with Gary.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast