Thread: electric choke question...

DickDanger
    When installing an electric choke, how tight should that coil inside the plastic housing be initially? In other words, how many rotations of the choke should I go before starting to adjust? Hopefully, someone on here knows what the hell I am talking about, lol, as it is hard to describe. Thanks for any help...-DD Out

The housing and the choke coil have index marks on them. The black coil will have a single arrow, and the housing will have something like this iiiiiIiiiii (no, not letters, index marks)
    Don't "wind" the coil. Insert the choke arm in the eye on the coil, and align the arrow on the coil with the big index mark in the center of marks. This is a good starting point. Tighten it down, run it and check if the choke kicks out properly. Adjust as necessary.
    Is this on a boat?

DickDanger
    Okay, so dont wind the coil, you are talking fairly small increments here? Yes, this is on my boat. There is gas getting to the carb, but the boat just isnt firing, so I am guessing that I am off on my choke setting. Also, TPC just rebuilt the carb for me this winter as well. I will go take a look at the choke, and let you know what I find. -DD Out

waterslinger
    deep 6 the choke. Do you run the boat in 40 deg weather??

Ken F
    Dick,
    You aren't going to need the choke.
    The Marine carbs you get from Biggs have the whole choke shaft & butterflys taken out.
    Don't even screw with it, but if you must, hold the throttle wide open, and turn your black choke knob forward until you see the choke butterfly just begin to close. then back it off about 1/16", until it is all the way open. Remember to do this with the throttle open, otherwise your linckage won't kick out. .
    Ken F

victorfb
    i have an 850 vac sec demon im planning on useing on my motor (boat) it has the electric choke and plan to remove it. my question is--- should i also mill the choke horn down? and if so, how far? all the way removed? i know its ok to do on a double pumper, but not sure about a vac sec. will it affect the secondaries opening? and will i gain much flow by milling the horn down?

Originally posted by victorfb
    i have an 850 vac sec demon im planning on useing on my motor (boat) it has the electric choke and plan to remove it. my question is--- should i also mill the choke horn down? and if so, how far? all the way removed? i know its ok to do on a double pumper, but not sure about a vac sec. will it affect the secondaries opening? and will i gain much flow by milling the horn down?
    Remove ALL of it, or.......
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/896pf.jpg

(The one in the background I milled)

victorfb
    thats a sweet lookin carb you got there roost. but i dont have the cash to go out and buy a new race style carb. the demon is new (just a couple dyno pulls) and its what i have. i know a mechanical secondary (double pumper) would be ideal, but i dont have one. so the vac. sec. will have to do. ive run em on jet boats before without a problem. the milled down one in the background is what ive seen in the past. i may do exactly that. maybe even a little further to smooth it out with the rest of the conyour of the body. (little aluminium chips all over,mmmmmmm. )

victorfb
    ok, talked to the tech at demon and he was no help. basically said to buy a marine version carb. guess they dont like people messin with their products.