Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Waiting on The Quad Rotor Whipple

Infomaniac
    If anyone has been following the blown 540 project on the Havasu Barney site. The engine is ready for the Whipple System. It will be here early next week. On time as promised.
    Need the intake manifold so the engine can be given a paint job. The block was painted but I sent it back for some more cylinder hone. Not enough clearance. That led into block cleaning etc. that was not friendly to the paint job.
    The project should pick up momentum as everything else is bolt on. Dyno testing and boat speed runs will be the fun part. I guess we will see how much power an affordable pump gas quad rotor 540 makes. Not looking to set a HP record with the dyno test. The objective will be to make sure we use the engine where it makes it's best power.
    The real test will be getting this Oklahoma built 23' tunnel into the 120 - 130 MPH zone. Powered naturally by this Oklahoma built engine. On pump gas and the every day tune up. Nothing experimental or fudged just for the test.
    Here is one picture of what awaits the blower system.
    The engine build project is posted step by step here during 9 posts.

[ March 14, 2003, 09:08 PM: Message edited by: Infomaniac ]

Infomaniac
    One more.

Liberator TJ1984
    Kinda Curious to see what happens when all that " OKie Enginerring " comes together

Ian
    That motor looks sweet! I can't wait untill I finish college and start making money, a blown alcohol injected Marine Assault 705ci is at the top of my list. I'm curious what your thoughts are on rev kits Infomaniac, I don't see many guys using them anymore? I have one on my motor and I'm sure it saved my cam when I broke a vale spring.

Maxey
    Hello "Info",
    I have followed your engine build project. Very nicely done. Thanks for sharing your knowledge. I run a 502 with a Whipple intercooled 3300. Very nice setup. Is your setup going to be intercooled? If so,
    I suggest that you line up the water fittings to the intercooler before you bolt the blower on. Look forward to the results of your project. Should be very strong.
    Maxey

Infomaniac
    Maxey:
    Hello "Info",
    I have followed your engine build project. Very nicely done. Thanks for sharing your knowledge. I run a 502 with a Whipple intercooled 3300. Very nice setup. Is your setup going to be intercooled? If so,
    I suggest that you line up the water fittings to the intercooler before you bolt the blower on. Look forward to the results of your project. Should be very strong.
    Thanks for the tip. I will be sure to do it. It will be intercooled. I wonder if the quads will be in the way.
    Maxey

DEL51
    Info,The Project was over the top. You have captured everything in excellant detail.I have much respect for your attention to detail and cleanliness.I was unable to follow the project on the barney site due to the lack of resolution on my television screen,webtv, but finally got the courage to use my computer at work. Broadband is awesome and I viewed all the video's you posted.That made the adrenalin spike. The cougar is awesome and I hope you never part with it.I think 540 should make an easy thousand horse and the same amount of torque.I think I will make the first prediction. 1127 HP @ 6.2k and a 1025 ft.lbs of torque from 5krpm on up.

Infomaniac
    Thanks Del51, The objective is to make the boat go fast. Will be great if your power numbers are correct.
    The brown truck rolled in from the West with these boxes. Must be a serious blower system to need these boxes. Hope this thing has instructions. LOL
    [img]http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/504/211Blower_Boxes-med.jpg[/img]
    One box contained this. Looks pretty cool. It might make some boost. Enough for pump gas anyway.
    [img]http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/504/211Quad-med.jpg[/img]
    Now the hard part. Better get busy.

tsnave
    Hey Info!
    Somehow I pictured you as being much taller. How do you torque main-cap and head studs? Do you have a 6-foot torque wrench?

Infomaniac
    tsnave:
    Hey Info!
    Somehow I pictured you as being much taller. How do you torque main-cap and head studs? Do you have a 6-foot torque wrench? Very funny Troy.
    What is a torque wrench? I always thought it was "tight as you can get it plus another 1/2 turn"?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast