Thread: From Amps to Volts

GottaJet
    I am going to make the change from an amp gauge to a volt gauge and the wiring seems a little different. On the amp gauge I've got an orange 10ga. wire from the alternator going to the positive side of the gauge and a red 10ga battery or 12v going to the negative side of the gauge and then over to the ignition switch. On the volt gauge diagram it calls for a 12v source on the ignition terminal and a ground, even though it has three terminals. Should I disregard the s or sender terminal? Any expierience you may have had with this change will really help me out. Thanks GJ

Volt gauges have only 2 active terminals, + & -. If you have a third is is likely not active on the gauge. Light circuit is normally seperate. Not seeing your gauge it tough to visualize what you're talking about with a third terminal. Hope that helps.

Nubbs
    Yes, disregard the S terminal. However, you'll probably have to connect your red and orange wires together or else you won't have any electrical power going to the boat.

GottaJet
    Thanks REX That's it.. they probably mass produce them(autometer phantoms) and just leave that S terminal on there inactive. My only other question is do I 86 the alternator wire and just run it in series with the power supply from all my other gauges?? p.s. I should be getting the bezels I ordered from you, today and I'll be ready to go.GJ

GottaJet
    Thanks Nubbs you answred that one before I could reply. Should I connect them up under the dash or back on the motor?? Thanks GJ

When measuring amps the amp guage has to be inline the circuit other wise it cannot measure the amount of current(flow) running thru the wire where as with a volt meter you are just taking a reading from the + and - side.
    A simple way to think about it is to think of amps as flow and volts as presure. If you had a hose that water was flowing thru and needed to calculate how much water went thru the hose you couldnt do that with just a t spiter, you would have to be inline where as if you wanted to measure the presure (volts) and T inline would work.
    As for the amp wire, connect it at the back of the boat. It will be safer, more efficiant, and cleaner.

cruser
    Connect the Alt wire from the Amp gage to the battery with out going all the way to the dash and back. Come off the terminal block on the motor and to the battery connection on the block(assuming there is one there). For the volt gage, connect one side to ground and the other to the ign terminal on the ignition switch. This will turn the gage on when the ignition is on and give you a reading of the battery voltage at the ignition switch (should be close enough ot the real battery voltage).
    cruzer