Thread: port matching

victorfb
    so im looking at my GM aluminium oval port heads (502/502hp) and see that they come somewhat ported (port matched CNC, and flowed around the valves) and i did just a little more flowing as the CNC left ridges that i thought should be smoothed out. then i take a look at the intake manifold (edelbrock performer RPM air gap) and noticed that the ports have a much more round shape than the almost square ports of the head. GM/edelbrock says its a new port design on the heads. but recommend still useing the oval port gaskets.kind of deletes the purpose of match porting in my mind. i thought about opening the intake manifold ports to match the heads but can only go into the manifold port about 1/4" till i start getting into the runners, which do not have enough material to remove. so now im thinking of swapping the intake to a victor jr. they advertise that the victor jr has more material for doing just that. has anyone else run into this before? and does anyone know if the victor jr does indeed have more material for port matching than the performer rpm air gap? im thinking i may actually be better off with the victor jr for this motor anyhow.
    motor is a.
    GM 502, GM aluminium oval port heads with 2.25 int/ 1.89 exh. 110 CC chambers. comp cams XR288HR .521int./.540exh. lift 236int./242exh. dur @ .050 ,110 lobe sep. comp cams roller rockers. edelbrock performer rpm air gap intake (for now), and a Demon 850 vac. sec. and over transum short style headers.
    boat is a.
    18' rogers with a berk. JG that Jack at MPD did his 1 1/2 stage and an A/B cut aluminium impeller. droop and a place diverter. ride plate and loader. (not sure the specs on the loader).
    money is getting tight, but if the victor jr is recommended id start counting out the change bottle money and do the swap. what do you guys think?

sell that piech of shiez and go buy an olds!

victorfb
    damn, and i traded my Olds for this 502 to some poor smuck named Toddnjuzz. oh wait, thats you. i mean i helped a buddy out by trading my awsome olds for a POS 502 to you.

you may want to chech your e-mail now!